. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 278. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Hi Michael,
    Thanks, I appreciate that. I was more worried about the size of the workable area more than anything else. I was looking to get 600x300x75, but prices just kept going up and up depending on that.
    If I manage to get it, I will play around with it (asking lots of questions on here I expect) then start upgrading where I can. Time doesn't bother me. Finish a bit more.

cheers

2. That size and the ability to cut aluminum require a good bit of rigidity. If go look at my build here http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/router...d-machine.html and look at what the machine looks like, you see a machine that has a 845 x 345 x 135 cutting area (a bit more really but that is what I use). It is also rigid enough to cut metal. Though only weak spot in it currently is the spindle and a SuperPID or upgraded spindle would deal with that. If you know folks that weld near you, for the money you want to spend you could build or have built a machine that will do what you want.

Michael

Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 278. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Fabrication in France is 3 times the price of the UK.( Nearly 45% of our wages are deducted for health care !)

I might take the chance this weekend and buy the French Machine (as it is user ready).
    I know it has 43mm spindle collar. The bloke sais it is up to handling the Kress 800w FME. Would it be possible to use the 1050 FME ? or the Chinese water cooled 1.5kw spindle ? would these give me any large benefits ? then I can change the rails to supported ones when I get used to the software etc....
    Last edited by dudz; 19-10-2012 at 07:14 AM.

Changing the rails on the X and Y axes to supported and using a Chinese water cooled spindle would make a huge difference. The Kress 1050 is a very good router, but it's still a router not a proper machine spindle so for instance suffers from a lack of rigidity and higher run-out. If you're getting that machine I'd advise making changing the rails to supported a priority, then get a 2.2kW spindle when you can afford it. The 2.2kW spindle is better since it uses larger (ER20) collets and will get marginally better power at low speed.
    I still don't think that machine is a good price considering the total cost of the components bought from China, but it's hard to suggest anything better without saying make it yourself.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Thanks Jonathan,
    That gives me some hope. I have managed to get the price down to 1400 euros now. (considering it going to cost him 200 euros to send it to me) . I am still considering the Chinese 6040 with 2.2kw wc Spindle. But I just don't like the idea of that. Everything I have ever bought from China needs bits replacing every other month.
    By looking at the Picture I have posted earlier in this thread, would you say changing those rails is possible without major work or fabrication (it is just bolt on parts) ? What sort of money are we talking of here ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	296 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	7162
    Ok, he has sent me a photo of ali he has machined today. Youtube video later today I'm told. I might then get to see some of what this machine is capable of.

7. Hard to tell from the resolution of the picture but seems to me the finish is useable but not great. Would be interesting to see the video and get some idea of the machining time and the tooling used.

I have now got the youtube video of the machine cutting a small circle in Alu

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0552.JPG 
Views:	278 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	7281Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0550.JPG 
Views:	271 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	7282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0545.JPG 
Views:	274 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	7283

I have chosen to buy this machine. I know it would have been better to build one for the amount of money spent, but I wanted a working machine that I could improve as I go. I understand it is never going to be a high performer.
    My question is please.....do I buy a Kress 1050 FME to replace the very underpowered 250w spindle that exists on the machine, or do I change the Z plate and buy a Chinese water cooled 2.2kw spindle ?
    Is there anyone online who fabricates and sells the Z plates/clamps to make the Chinese spindle fit my machine ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information