. .
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Hi. I am researching this field for months and I decided to make one. I ordered almost all parts except the linear rails. I am going to make them.
    I have all the parts but I'll post pictures tomorrow because it is late now to take pictures . Anyway this is the parts info:

1. 4 x Axis Driver 2M542 4.2A & Breakout interface board for Router system for CNC
    2. 2 x ballscrew RM1605-1300mm (for dual X axis)
    3. 1 x ballscrew RM1605-900mm (for Y axis)
    4. 1 x ballscrew RM1605-250mm (for Z axis)
    5. 4 x flexible couplers
    6. 3 x NEMA23 425 oz-in CNC stepper motor /3.0A (two for X, one for Y)
    7. 1 x NEMA23 287 oz-in CNC stepper motor (for Z)
    8. 4 set BK12/BF12 ballscrew end support
    9. 12 x SBR20UU BLOCKS
    10. 3 x Cable drag chain wire carrier 10*20mm 1000mm (40")

I have all of this parts and I hope I am on the right track, I'll be so frustrated if I made some mistake because my budget IS VERY VERYYYYYY TIGHT.
    Anyway I would like a little help.

1. What is the best alu plate thickness I should use for the Z construction and the gantry. I was thinking of using 20mm plates. Is that good?
    2. How should I place the linear support rails on the Y axis? Should they be mounted on the front of the alu plate or one at the top and one at the bottom? What is better system?

I have some drawings on paper but still nothing on PC and I am not sure if I make because I am not that good in 3D software.
    Please help me with this first questions. THANK YOU

PS: Like I said I'll post pictures tomorrow.
    Last edited by DigiSoft; 03-03-2014 at 11:27 PM.

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    Sketchup is free and really easy to learn, there are some very good tutorials here:

Sketchup for Woodworkers - Home

You can import all the standard things like your ballscrews etc straight into the program so you don't have to worry about trying to draw them.

Quote Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
    Sketchup is free and really easy to learn, there are some very good tutorials here:

Sketchup for Woodworkers - Home

You can import all the standard things like your ballscrews etc straight into the program so you don't have to worry about trying to draw them.
    Yes I know about the sketchup but where can I find the ready-made parts? I really don't have time to design every part and bolt from ground up.

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    From inside sketchup, goto file import and then search for sbr20 and up pops a linear rail, bearings and mounts component.

If you can't find something inside of sketchup try a google search for 'rm1605 ballscrew sketchup' and download the file onto your computer, then you can import it into sketchup from your computer.

To be honest it seems a little odd to buy all the parts first with no idea about how to arrange them into a working machine and then start trying to figure out how to do it with no money for making mistakes and no time to learn how to do things.

If you take a look at the build logs most people seem to take many months to assemble their first machine, it might be best to put a plan together first either properly done technical drawings on paper or a CAD model that way people here will find it much easier to help you.

I'm just starting to put together a plan for my own first build and from most of the information I've garnered it seems that 20mm plate is fine and the top & bottom rails on the gantry is quite popular.

Try reading this thread, it has CAD drawings and photos to help you visualise:
    http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/diy-ma...gn-advice.html

From inside sketchup, goto file import and then search for sbr20 and up pops a linear rail, bearings and mounts component.

If you can't find something inside of sketchup try a google search for 'rm1605 ballscrew sketchup' and download the file onto your computer, then you can import it into sketchup from your computer.

To be honest it seems a little odd to buy all the parts first with no idea about how to arrange them into a working machine and then start trying to figure out how to do it with no money for making mistakes and no time to learn how to do things.

If you take a look at the build logs most people seem to take many months to assemble their first machine, it might be best to put a plan together first either properly done technical drawings on paper or a CAD model that way people here will find it much easier to help you.

I'm just starting to put together a plan for my own first build and from most of the information I've garnered it seems that 20mm plate is fine and the top & bottom rails on the gantry is quite popular.

Try reading this thread, it has CAD drawings and photos to help you visualise:
    http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/diy-ma...gn-advice.html
    I already said that I HAVE the plan in my mind and I have some drawings on the paper but not on a computer. I'll do some sketchup on PC and post it. Anyway, I ordered the parts because I have figured out how the machine will look. I also spend months and months ordering and thinking. It's not like I got up in the morning and ordered some random parts to make myself CNC.
    The position of the rails is something that can be changed during the process. It is not something you buy and make mistake.
    The rails are the same, but the design is different.

My apologies, I was trying to help not infuriate.

This post has the rails/screw models in if it helps.

http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/cad-ca...html#post35866

7. The bit I don't get is you've ordered some top quality (read expensive) kit and the SBR20UU blocks yet you are going to make the linear rails. Clearly your working envelope is 1200 x 800 x 150 approx and its hard to see how you'll get the accuracy required over those sort of lengths. What exactly are you planning to do there?

My apologies, I was trying to help not infuriate.
    The toys did leave the pram PDQ, probably best not to ask how he intends to make the rails

Like DC I am new to this & still planing but he offers some good advice from what I have learnt so far. What materials & components you use will depend on what you intend to cut with the machine. What sort of material will you be cutting as the more experienced members will ask you this.
    20mm has been used for a few builds but you need 20mm plate not 20mm flat bar. What else will you be using for the gantry construction other than the aluminium plate?
    What experience of machining or what tools you have available will make a difference.

OK thanks to everyone for the answers BTW D.C there is no need for apologies, it is OK :).
    I am planning to use the CNC for milling some thin aluminum, then wood, plastic, that kind of materials.
    I am forced to make the support for the linear rails because those parts are really heavy and the shipping to my country is $$$.
    I have the roods from pro-chrome but I need to make the support rails. Now this is really a problem so that's why I am asking for help.
    I was thinking of using two L shaped profiles and one aluminum bar in the middle like sandwich and tight that up with nuts and bolts on every 5cm or so. Like this

_|[]|_

I know it is not perfect solution but what do you think about it? Can you give me another idea of making the support rails?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the understanding.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information