. .
    Hi,

Not sure how to explain. Here goes anyway...

A while ago, I'm sure I watched a video showing a "CNC machine" scanning over an object and pinpointing (creating code) where cuts were to be made for reproducing that exact part...
    Hope this makes sense. Can anyone shed any light on this and is this possible?

I may have ben dreaming :D

Cheers,

Martin

Was it this by any chance?

A DAVID Laserscanner Incredibly Low Cost 3D Scanner ?

Link: http://www.david-laserscanner.com/
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 15-01-2009 at 02:30 AM.
    .Me

Or do you mean digitising with a probing?

Hi Lee,
    It wasn't the David Scanner however, thats looks very interesting. Will definitely be taking a closer look into that. Have you received my PM mate regarding another thread?

The machine I seen was what looked like, a CNC machine. Instead of there being any cutting tools/pens etc it looked to be some sort of probing as Graffian mentions...?

Quote Originally Posted by mdre83 View Post
    Hi Lee,
    It wasn't the David Scanner however, thats looks very interesting. Will definitely be taking a closer look into that. Have you received my PM mate regarding another thread?

The machine I seen was what looked like, a CNC machine. Instead of there being any cutting tools/pens etc it looked to be some sort of probing as Graffian mentions...?
    Will reply to your PM now mate, do some searchs on google and see what comes up then let us know so we can help you a bit more. Where did you see this video ? youtube ?
    .Me

The pukka thing is a Renishaw probe. I only know about this from looking around so might get stuff wrong.
    Someone on cnc zone posted about his probe build and if you look at cnc brain or the mach forum you will find more info on home built probes. Mach works with the probe and there are pics of a digitised coin. I can't find any good video on youtube of mach and a probe but there are some, somewhere, the ones I easily found show the probe in use but not the output. I have probed a handfull of points on a casting to do a drawing, manually with my turret mill/dro and it's a right pain so I can appreciate how good/usefull it would be.
    Last edited by graffian; 15-01-2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by mdre83 View Post
    Hi Lee,

Have a look on the Mach forums (if you are using Mach that is). Digitising is built into Mach. In the link above there are instructions on how to build your own digitiser as Renishaw probes can be expensive even second hand or from fleabay.

The Davids site is quoting accuracy of 0.4mm with a decent laser and camera but Renishaw probes can be much more accurate. And yes this is also on my "I want one of those" list:)

Jeff.
    Nothing is foolproof......to a sufficiently talented fool!

Cheers for the replies guys.

Yeah, I had a look on youtube and that is where I seen the probing.
    As graffian says, they show the probing but not the output.

So, with a normal (Rockcliff) CNC build and MACH, I can use this to map out certain objects then re-create that object into say an engraving for instance?

Providing I purchase the prob too.

If you look around the cnc forums you will find pics of the homemade, or 50 dollar, probe and a pic of something like a flower made of china[can't remember exactly what it was] and a carving of it done with a router after it was digitised.

Thread Information