. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    That's the problem DC items are cloned right down to the labels & where they go so just by looking it's impossible to tell. That's the reason I will only buy from sellers who have been recommended to me by people who have actually used them.

Have you had any contact with this seller yourself yet?

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    I've not had any contact with the seller but they do seem to have a fair amount of cnc stuff for sale and good feedback, including on those drives.

Does anyone have a link to a 'woe is me and my fake leadshine drives!' thread? I've looked around all the usual places and can only find this thread and another one on here where someone claims that Gary from Zapp had said there were fakes on the market.

If I search for reports of problems with the TB6560's the issues become apparent very quickly but can't find any firsthand experience of the problem of fake leadshine drives.

Edit to add:

Looking for fake leadshine drives you do find quite a few bits of information claiming that Chinese companies rip off the IP of American companies, like this pdf from 2006:

http://ftp.cnchungary.com/Varsanyi_P...DB810_copy.pdf
    Last edited by D.C.; 08-11-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Even if it is a copy, that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad - it might be a good copy...certainly worth trying in my opinion.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Have you seen the fake Apple store(s) that China has? Unless you were one of the real store designers you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I don't know if the stuff they are selling is fake as well but judging by the lengths they have gone to copy the look I'd guess at least some products are fake too.

Getting back to the drivers though, I find it slightly suspicious that there are only three purchases of those drivers in the last 6 months and all were from Russia. I'd rather see a better purchase history.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Even if it is a copy, that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad - it might be a good copy...certainly worth trying in my opinion.
    No disrespect Jonathan but some of us don't have the money to gamble like that. They may be genuine & a great buy but if they turn out to be a pile of junk then that would be money I couldn't afford to lose personally.

Biggest problem with feedback on any site is that it is generally posted instantly & if the customer has a problem a week or two latter there is no way to change the feedback that has been placed. Yes they may be able to get their money back or the item replaced through paypal or the seller if it's a genuine seller but if they get nothing back there is no way to alter the feedback given or update it. Sorry if I sound a bit paranoid about this but I have had problems with a certain auction site & also know lots of other people who have as well. Yes I do miss out on the odd bargain now but at least I haven't wasted any more money which is generally in short supply.

Quote Originally Posted by martin54 View Post
    No disrespect Jonathan but some of us don't have the money to gamble like that.
    Nor do I. But unlike 'a certain auction site' aliexpress uses an escrow system so that you have a chance to thoroughly test the item before releasing payment.

So far nobody here has shown that these drivers are fake, or indeed that there are fake drivers around. Secondly, if there are fake drivers then given the number of people, myself included, who have bought them from China, wouldn't we be hearing problems from them? How many threads are there about drivers broken due to a manufacturing defect?

If they're such bad copies that they fail within a few days, then you can get your money back. If they fail after a few months, then there's not much chance of a refund - but that's the chance you take buying anything in China, regardless of if it is genuine or not. So the question is, are these more likely to fail than the ones from England? Since we have no evidence to show that they are fake (it's from China so it's probably fake doesn't count, it's argument ad homenium), I see no reason not to get them since the risk is no greater than buying anything I would normally buy in China.

Instead of speculating, perhaps inquire with leadshine as to whether they think those drives are fake? Or maybe in the unlikely event that you do buy some (your mind seems pretty made up) perhaps at the same time buy a genuine drive, run a motor from it and simultaneously another from a questionable drive, and see if the questionable one runs any hotter? Fake MOSFETs are abundant in China, including models I have seen used in stepper drivers (e.g. IRF540), so a fake driver is likely to use these to save money. The fake components have reduced performance characteristics (which leads to reduced lifetime) and causes them to run hotter in the same operating conditions, so the temperature difference should show up immediately. Ultimately if they are going to fail after a few months then it will very likely be due to a thermal issue. In addition if you're using the driver with Nema 23 motors then since the current will be set to around half the rating the heat dissipation will be substantially less than it is designed for.

So far I have not had to return any of the drivers I bought from a Chinese company and for what it's worth, the drivers and spindle I bought from aliexpress work just fine.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

i have got to agree with jonathan... its a calculated gamble but sights like aliexpress alibaba have opened the door for us "little" people to get closer to the "supplier" and save money
    I bought six digital drivers and had to bite my nails a tad until i had them up and running
    we make a choice and sometimes we win and in my experience every now and again we lose

Ok so being honest I didn't know how the payment system on Aiexpress worked & having had that cleared up seems like you have a lot more protection than I thought you had. Only ever used the well known auction site as Jonathan puts it.
    I'm not a member of the anything Chinese is either a copy or complete rubbish brigade as I have already said but as I have already said the biggest problem is knowing who to buy from. I wouldn't have bought Chai if I had just come across him myself BUT having read all the recommendations on hear about the service & prices I will quite happily buy from him when I need to.

Jonathon, I don't even know if fake leadshine drives exist so maybe I am being a bit negative on this but I do know that it's not just western goods that are now being copied & have come across vinyl plotters that have been copied. Looking at the Aliexpress feedback for this seller they don't seem to have sold many of these drives which surprises me if they are that good. I haven't made my mind up yet lol, just wanted to know a bit more about the seller & see if anyone had already bought from them.

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    And yet even then you are still taking a risk.

Here is a person on cnczone slating chai utterly after his experience ordering from linearmotionbearings.
    Positive experience purchasing linear rails and drivescrews - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!

Do you listen to the dozens of positive experiences and go with chai or the negative experience and decide chai is a shyster? Buying stuff from anywhere is always a gamble, but then so is crossing the road...

DC your right there is always a risk but if you can mininise the risk then surely that has to be a good thing. If I am crossing the road yes I could get knocked down but if I look both ways first I stand less chance of getting knocked down.
    To answer your question I would be more likely to go with the dozens of positive experiences for a couple of reasons, there are many happy customers from what I have read not just on this forum but others & very little negative reports. Plus some of the positive comments come from people who I have spoken to either via a forum or in person so have a bit more trust in. I know nothing of the guy who posted a negative comment so can't say anything about his experience.
    Like I said in the other post maybe I'm just a bit to careful but that is mainly down to past experiences of life in general.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information