. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Well I've had plenty of experience with buying from China and I can honestly say I've had very little to complain about and I'm 1000's of pound in front compared to buying in EU so that said I'm up for it D.C.

I will need some soon so let me know. If not then I don't mind being the guinea pig.!!

See that makes it a lot better because if things go pear shaped I can now blame Jazz for leading me astray lol

Splendid, that answers the question WWJJD... and they would both try it!

Count me in for 3 units D.C.

Worst case there will be a few of us to give negative feedback.

Before lots folks get too excited it needs to be pointed out that the £56 delivered is not what they will actually cost.?
    There will be 20% VAT on top plus a handling Fee from the shipping company anywhere between £10-20 for the whole shipment. So I reckon they will workout around £68-70 mark.
    Still cheaper than from China thru Ebay or Other Uk sources but just not has cheap as many maybe where thinking.???

I'm still game thou.!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Before lots folks get too excited it needs to be pointed out that the £56 delivered is not what they will actually cost.?
    There will be 20% VAT on top plus a handling Fee from the shipping company anywhere between £10-20 for the whole shipment. So I reckon they will workout around £68-70 mark.
    Still cheaper than from China thru Ebay or Other Uk sources but just not has cheap as many maybe where thinking.???

I'm still game thou.!!
    so how does import duty work then Jazz? You have mentioned 20% vat but what about import duty? is that added as well or is the vat in place of that? I know sellers have put a low value on items for people but surely that can't be the case if the payment is help by escrow until the customer is happy for them to release it.

I knew you would see the light

Quote Originally Posted by WandrinAndy View Post
    Worst case there will be a few of us to give negative feedback.
    There will be one as it's a group buy ...

Quote Originally Posted by martin54 View Post
    so how does import duty work
    You get charged 20% of the value stated on the customs form (which may of course be less than you paid, or more if you're unlucky) plus a £10 handling fee to maximise FedEx executive bonuses . Import duty is something separate that only applies for higher value items:
    https://www.gov.uk/importing-and-exporting-by-post

So we can expect them to cost at most 20% more plus £10 divided by the whole shipment, or if you're lucky it could be less. For example I bought a spindle from aliexpress for $493 (not a normal spindle) and didn't get charged as the seller decided to put an exceptionally low value on the shipment!
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    There will of course be postage to pay to distribute them once they get here, but they are not very large or heavy so it won't be much.

Jazz has kindly offered to place the order so nobody has to hand over their cash to dodgy new bloke. :)

I was budgeting £60 a drive plus postage for my drives from cnc4you so this makes sense for me, the leadshine digital drives are vastly superior to the ones I was going to get for almost the same amount of money.

I might be teaching my granny to suck eggs here but...

I took part in group buy on another forum, the guy running it set up a publicly readable Google Docs spreadsheet showing what everyone wanted and how much it would cost. It worked really well as a way of organizing everyone (there were about 20 purchasers in the end) and keeping track of who'd paid / when things had been shipped etc. Might be worth doing the same here now that there's a growing number of us wanting drives.

Quote Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
    I was budgeting £60 a drive plus postage for my drives from cnc4you so this makes sense for me, the leadshine digital drives are vastly superior to the ones I was going to get for almost the same amount of money.
    These are certainly better drivers, but bear in mind you can get perfectly good drivers for a lot less on aliexpress:

Best Selling! Wantai 3 PCS Stepper Motor Driver DQ860MA 24 80VDC 8.2A 256Micro CNC Router Plasma Laser Engraving Foam Grind-in Motor Driver from Industry & Business on Aliexpress.com

Whilst it is of course nice to have the latest technology, if your machine will run perfectly well with the cheaper drivers I see no reason not to get those. I've had 8 of them and not had any problems.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
    Jazz has kindly offered to place the order so nobody has to hand over their cash to dodgy new bloke. :)
    Only thing I would worry about if you were to place the order D.C. is that it might arrive encased in self-levelled epoxy ;-)

Jazz will have a good idea whether they are the real McCoy or not.... Naturally without prejudice.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information