. .
    Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    I ordered a 2.2kw spindle brand new from one of the ebay sellers that dispatch from the UK, it arrived today and was very, very well packaged no way that any damage was done to it in transit, the vfd is immaculate and brand new but the spindle itself has quite a lot of scrape marks (not tooling marks, they look like scrapes from fitting it into a holder) and there are quite a few small dents in the plates on each end.

What condition/quality were other people's brand new spindles in when they arrived, were they immaculate or is someone trying to palm me off a second hand item?

If I remember correctly mine had some surface rust on the top cover screws. Nothing to worry about.
    The scratches could be from mounting in a test jig.
    Can you post a photo?

I got one recently which had surface rust inside the taper! The seller advised me to just clean it off, so I did that and the runout is less than a micrometer so I'm not complaining...
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.

The top plate on mine had a few marks, though not the body. When I first ran it with water I got a bit of rust out. IMO if it works perfectly then don't worry.

Perhaps the marks are from testing, balancing maybe? Seems unlikely though as I'd expect the rotor to be balanced on it's own before being inserted into the housing.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

would u mind saying which seller u bought from.. just for future reference?

I wouldnt worry about the marks. Generally the black paint job on the end caps is poor from what I've seen so far so this will chip off easily. The stuff around the coolant connector holes is thread sealant, apply a small amount when you refit them.
    Have you run it up yet?

Quote Originally Posted by wilfy View Post
    would u mind saying which seller u bought from.. just for future reference?
    Not yet, I don't think it's fair bad mouthing people on the internet when they haven't had a chance to respond to any issues yet, if you are going to order one this week I can PM you if you want?

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    I wouldnt worry about the marks. Generally the black paint job on the end caps is poor from what I've seen so far so this will chip off easily. The stuff around the coolant connector holes is thread sealant, apply a small amount when you refit them.
    Have you run it up yet?
    I've not tried it out yet, it's my first build so I'm ordering stuff as I go and don't actually have the cables yet or a dti to test it with. :(

Mine arrived a couple of weeks ago, a 2.2KW version, seems in very good condition but has yet to be used... There were several to choose from on Ebay, PM me for the details of the seller.

Thread Information