. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Picture?

Is it possible to re-solder the connection ????

I've been rebuilding a British made HC Chucker over the past six months, and your HC looks like an earlier version of the one I bought on Ebay in March 2012. I believe the early models did not have the self-indexing feature to the turret. The Fetham Middlesex address suggests an early machine, as later versions were manufactured in Exeter. However, the operator's manual which came with my machine appears to be for the early model, with front-mounted carriage drive motor and handwheel operated spindle speeder. (like yours). I would happily swap my manual (original) for one appropriate to my chucker, which, I believe, was manufactured in 1980.

I've been talking to ZMT services, the bed plate needs to be reground as it's worn in the middle, so I'll get a new solenoid and get the powerfeed motor done too while I'm at it.

n.rat, I'm interested in a swap, as the manual I have is for the later models. Can you post a pic of the front cover so I can see if it's my HC?

northumbrian,

I've tried to attach a couple of photographs of the manual, but the files are too large. There is no date information in the manual, but the UK addess is given as Exeter. The photographs on page three illustrate the Early model HC, with speed control by a handwheel on the front of the cabinet. Also, the cross-slide is much smaller and simpler than the one on my machine.

I had my bed plate reground (top surface only) by Triple T engineering at Shildon. They did an excellent job at reasonable price. One consequence, however, is that I now have a bit of backlash in the carriage rack/handwheel, due to the slight lowering of the carriage relative to the bed-mounted rack. The rack is doweled to the bed casting, so it's difficult to make any adjustment to its location. Backlash is now about 30 thou, as indicated at the dial. This could be compensated by using thicker teflon on the carriage underside.

Quote Originally Posted by northumbrian View Post
    I've been talking to ZMT services, the bed plate needs to be reground as it's worn in the middle, so I'll get a new solenoid and get the powerfeed motor done too while I'm at it.

n.rat, I'm interested in a swap, as the manual I have is for the later models. Can you post a pic of the front cover so I can see if it's my HC?

Sounds like my machine, I've sent you a pm.

The rack can be adjusted to compensate for the thinner bed plate, I'll post pics of the process when I get to it.

6. The usual procedure is to make a full bed-sized shim to fit under bed to correct for the re-grind. This keeps the carriage height correct without moving the rack.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by BillTodd View Post
    The usual procedure is to make a full bed-sized shim to fit under bed to correct for the re-grind. This keeps the carriage height correct without moving the rack.

Bill
    That sounds like an easier way to do it.

I'll take some more pics tonight, when I get a chance, every time I try to go in the workshop to do something on the HC, something else comes up.

Anyway I now have an Aciera F3 mill to fit in the workshop so I "have" to spend sometime in there in order to make room and to "tidy" up (typed for the benefit of SWMBO)

Quote Originally Posted by n.rat View Post
    I've been rebuilding a British made HC Chucker over the past six months, and your HC looks like an earlier version of the one I bought on Ebay in March 2012. I believe the early models did not have the self-indexing feature to the turret. The Fetham Middlesex address suggests an early machine, as later versions were manufactured in Exeter. However, the operator's manual which came with my machine appears to be for the early model, with front-mounted carriage drive motor and handwheel operated spindle speeder. (like yours). I would happily swap my manual (original) for one appropriate to my chucker, which, I believe, was manufactured in 1980.
    Hi everyone, I've just joined MYCNCUK. I too have an elderly British made HC - I've owned it for about 15 years and it's still going strong. Mine has the bedstop on a shaft, not bolted to the bed like all the others I've seen. So I guess mine is quite old ?

i have a question based on your pictures. my turret has backlash in some stations, how can i adjust any backlash. adjustments or rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by tico1966 View Post
    i have a question based on your pictures. my turret has backlash in some stations, how can i adjust any backlash. adjustments or rebuild.
    Hi, I have just sold my HC, but thanks for your question.
    From what you ask, it seems that the backlash is located at the small pads on the turret.
    If I remember correctly, these pads are adjustable by screwing them in or out. There may be a small grub screw to stop the pad from screwing itself out.
    I would make the adjustment at mid-point on the turret-lock taper.
    I hope this helps. .... Steve

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information