. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 06-02-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 275. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Just purchased my used CNC/routing machine. It has a 250w spindle. I want to replace the spindle with a 2.2kw Chinese one. I have read several times that the VFD that comes with these are rubbish. Is there one out there (maybe ebay) that is relatively cheap that will do the job, and last longer than the Chinese VFD ?

any links would be very helpful. Thanks
    Last edited by dudz; 03-11-2012 at 03:24 PM.

I think you'll find most of the posts saying the Chinese VFDs are rubbish are either old, or someone quoting from an old post. There's been at least one design change in the VFDs recently, which implies they are better. Either way I've connected them up for a few people and they've worked fine, plus I'm currently using two - one the router and one on my lathe and haven't had any problems due to quality of the VFD. In addition I bought one a few weeks ago for another CNC router, and that's fine... so I wouldn't worry about it.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Hi Jonathan
    Could I ask which ebay seller you got yours from? I'm nearing the start of my project and it would be useful to know. There are some sellers that claim to ship from the UK. Is this true?

Thanks
    Mike

Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 06-02-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 275. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Ah, OK. That's useful thanks . It would be helpful if the Chinese Ebay sellers, would mark up which model they are selling. They seem to put reference numbers in their titles, but don't explain them. How does anyone know which are the latest versions of each item ?
    Please can you recommend an ebay seller for the spindle/VFD package ?
    Last edited by dudz; 03-11-2012 at 05:48 PM.

I have actually just bought a Kress 1050FME as my machine has a 43mm holder. I am going to buy a SUPER PID for the controller www.SuperPID.com - Super-PID Closed-loop Router Speed Controller
    I might upgrade to a Chinese spindle later, when I learn how to use all the software.
    Last edited by dudz; 05-11-2012 at 12:07 AM.

when you factor in the cost the kress and the super PID your at 2.2kw spindle money anyway.. why would you buy the kress when the WC spindle is so highly recommended and accepted as far more reliable? i hope u got it cheaper than the prices i can find

I got the kress here : DamenCNC.com - KRESS Milling Motor Which saved me a bit.
    I don't like buying anything Chinese. I would of had to buy or make a new Z plate as well.

ok thats not a bad price, but with the controller not far off the 2.2kw spindle... and it was u who said u were going to buy one... i understand the logic in saving yourself a bit of money now in the short run as it doesnt hurt so much.. but sometimes u just have to sit tight save the pennies a little longer and be much better off for it..

In my logic, If I am offered something Chinese , I want it dirt cheap. As they haven't exactly set the world trademark for quality. I have 3 Chinese dirt bikes, very good price, but once left out in the rain, the lack of quality of the steel and chrome really shows. After 2 years, 60% of the parts needed replacing. No money saved there. I knew I should have bought Japanese !
    I have watched countless youtube videos, and it swayed me more towards the Kress. For small jobs in Alu they seem very good.
    I am just a beginner in the Diy CNC hobby, and I'm sure I will learn by my mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by dudz View Post
    In my logic, If I am offered something Chinese , I want it dirt cheap.
    The 2.2kW spindles are dirt cheap compared to buying from the UK/USA/Germany etc from a recognised company.

Quote Originally Posted by dudz View Post
    I have actually just bought a Kress 1050FME as my machine has a 43mm holder. I am going to buy a SUPER PID for the controller www.SuperPID.com - Super-PID Closed-loop Router Speed Controller
    That's a shame... The Kress will have much (in order of importance) poorer rigidity, worse runout, more expensive collets, lower lifetime and be noisier. If you're using it for aluminium it will not last long since it's still just a router (albeit a good one), not a proper spindle, so the bearings are a lot smaller among other things.
    Before I got my 2.2kW spindle I was thinking of getting a Kress and I'm very glad that people on this forum persuaded me to spend the extra as the 2.2kW spindle has been faultless.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information