Thread: Tiddy CNC.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
  1. #91
    Ok well first why are you using USB when the PLCM is capable of using Ethernet.? Ethernet is much much better at handling noise than USB.
    Need some idea or pics of how you have wiring/earths etc because you shouldn't be having PC earth interfering with Control box earth and vise versa. You haven't earhed the PC to control box earth have you.? PC should just use the Earth in the Plug and no external earth to control or machine frame.
    Also have you got a Earth from machine frame to Control Star earth.? If not then do so.

    Can you post your Mach3 XML file (Zip it up) it will be in mach3 folder using same name as the profile your loading from Mach3 loader.

    What VFD is it and does it work normally Ie: ~using buttons on front.?
    What settings have you changed in the VFD and what did you enter.?
    What inputs on the VFD are you connecting to.?

  2. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    And for my next problem.. :)I can post pictures and update the electrical schematic if that would help.
    That's the best idea, also I don't know why you suspect earthing as the problem, I would be thinking it was the chassis mounted USB connector from your description, or that the closed door was exerting undue pressure on the cable thus twisting it somehow in the socket.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 21-09-2014 at 12:50 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

  3. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    also I don't know why you suspect earthing as the problem
    Because it's a common hack with USB that is easily affected by noise. The USB SS suffered from it and Tony's probably read something around these lines.? Just guesssing on that thou.!

  4. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Because it's a common hack with USB that is easily affected by noise. The USB SS suffered from it and Tony's probably read something around these lines.? Just guesssing on that thou.!
    Well I was just going off this comment, I've had this problem in the past when cables are routed to the front panel so that when they are moved upon closing the door they affect other components they touch.

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    . . . I did have issues a few weeks ago where I would lose comms to the control cabinet whenever I closed the control box,
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 21-09-2014 at 06:02 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

  5. #95
    Thanks Chaps, I'll do some documentation tonight. I may have muddied the waters a little, the first issue was the closing door, it was weird and I couldnt see anything, so I removed the chassis connector and it was resolved, I'll post pictures to describe that one better. The second issue (possibly realted) seems to be just when the VFD spins up the spindle as I can have the VFD on spindle stationary and the comms stay up. The VFD is the standard Huanyang variant from China, nothing changed from default, it does make some noise on start-up, the water cooling is active but I guess as its indoors and I'm usually tinkering in the early hours, luckily our neighbour is on holiday :) The reason I'm on USB is the board doesent have the Ethernet module on it, I'll try to source one shortly. It does feel noise/interference currently but frankly the control box was very prototypish anyway with lots of connectors across different faces of the box and the door used becuase I ran out of space, I was planning to move to a larger box and possibly mount the vfd in there also. Anyway, thanks for the ideas, I'll document where I am, look at the ethernet module and see about a bigger box shortly. Three quick questions though..

    1). Do folks power the VFD, PSU's and all other CNC stuff (not including PC) from just one 13A wall plug, I'm using the VFD on its own plug right now.
    2). For the ethernet SS, do I need to add a router or switch between the SS and PC or will a cross-over cable generally do between them?
    3). I would really like to mount the control box on the frame, I've read comments about vibration etc, is it really a bad idea or do some folks find it works ok, it would make my cabling neater and the whole machine would be more compact.

    Cheers. Tony.

  6. #96
    If you have mounted some parts on the door have you in fact grounded the door to the box, or are you just relying on the hinges for the ground? ..Clive

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:


  8. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    1). Do folks power the VFD, PSU's and all other CNC stuff (not including PC) from just one 13A wall plug, I'm using the VFD on its own plug right now.
    2). For the ethernet SS, do I need to add a router or switch between the SS and PC or will a cross-over cable generally do between them?
    3). I would really like to mount the control box on the frame, I've read comments about vibration etc, is it really a bad idea or do some folks find it works ok, it would make my cabling neater and the whole machine would be more compact.

    Cheers. Tony.
    1. Mine is hard wired to the consumer unit using armoured cable.
    2. The ESS connects directly to the PC with a standard ethernet cable.
    3. Mine is wall mounted but maybe you could mount it to the frame using rubber engine mountings.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:


  10. #98
    Thanks to Gary @ Zapp who answered a query today, the PLCM E3 card I am using also support's ethernet, I've been assuming that it didnt since the there appeared to be a daughterboard on the SS literature that isnt on the card I have.I guess the Rev 2 of the SS that I have didnt need it. I have comms to the SS now, I had a crossover cable adaptor spare so thats working now :) I can jog so thats working fine. The VFD is soundling like my very own Rols Royce Trent 900 turbo fan & I can jog so no lost comms :) :)

    Thanks for the feedback Eddy, until I upgrade the control box I'll stick to a seperate wall plug for now. Time to read the VFD manual now and find out how to not have it spin so fast it wakes the neighbourhood. Thanks again.

  11. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Thanks to Gary @ Zapp who answered a query today, the PLCM E3 card I am using also support's ethernet, I've been assuming that it didnt since the there appeared to be a daughterboard on the SS literature that isnt on the card I have.I guess the Rev 2 of the SS that I have didnt need it
    Ok first let me just clear up something because it becomes confusing for others reading this.! You don't have a SS this relates to a particular Brand name of Motion control card called the Smooth stepper shortened to SS or ESS for the ethernet version.

    You have PLCM E3 which is still a motion control card but not to be confused with the SS.

    Now what breakout board do you have because the PLCM E3 doesn't have spindle speed control directly so for this you'll need either external spindle speed control board or a breakout board with one built into it.

    If you haven't set up the parameters in the VFD then don't go trying to make it start else you'll possibly do it some damage if the parameters are set wrong.
    After setting intial parameters like Voltage, amps etc then if you want to control it thru G-code and the control software then you'll need to set more parameters in VFD so can be controlled from an external source. Also along with this you'll need to set outputs and spindle settings etc in Mach3.

    Do a search on the forum and you'll find the settings and parmeters to change.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:


  13. #100
    Thanks Jazz, you're right, I meant the generic, it is as you say an PLCM E3 from Purelogic, a Russian company. I'm using the Zapp ZP5A-INT breakout board, I'm not planning to try and control the spindle speed using that but I do have a USB dongle that supports RS485 that I've read will work for speed control. We'll see, right now as you say I've got to explore the VFD manully and get that going, with perhaps a little less noise.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •