. .

Thread: Tiddy CNC.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Hmmm...only 3 wires would indicate it's only using RX/TX and GND.
    What USB adapter are you using?

When I had a quick scan of the AM882 manual earlier, it said use a baudrate of 38400.
    However whatever software is using the COM port should configure the port itself, ignoring any windows settings.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Tony,

http://www.leadshine.com/Download.aspx?Type=software

This is my cable, it's a USB to serial converter then a short length of cable cut from an old phone with the correct plug already fitted.
    I used default settings for everything else.

Pinout details for cable http://www.leadshine.com/UploadFile/...munication.pdf

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image6.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	12133

If you plug it all in then on your PC go to, Settings - System - Device Manager, you will see if it's connected and which COM port number it has. In my case it's showing the USB to serial converter on COM10

Name:	Image1.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	12134

As you can see I get an error when trying to read from the drive, this has always been the case with my system ( Windows XP ) and I've never followed it up, but I might now.

Name:	Image3.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	12135Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image2.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	12136Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image4.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	12137Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image5.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	12138

To be honest I would just as soon use the DIP switch 4 method as described in the manual , where you quickly switch it twice and the drive will set itself up.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 20-04-2014 at 03:49 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    To be honest I would just as soon use the DIP switch 4 method as described in the manual , where you quickly switch it twice and the drive will set itself up.
    Nah it's too hit n miss and you never know if you've done it fast enough, software is 100%. Also you can set the amp's for the motors exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    For what its worth I do get a read from the drives so I know that serial comms are working but every time I try something interesting in ProTune it says in effect comms dropped.
    When you say try something interesting expalin what exactly your doing and what's happening.?

The fact your reading the drive means it's working. There is a quirk in protune Like eddy showed where trying to read or write to memory doesn't work, I'm not exactly usre which it is and I'm not at my setup laptop to check Protune but it gives a COM error.? . . . .I think if you click Write to Ram you get COM error but write to EEprom you don't.?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Nah it's too hit n miss and you never know if you've done it fast enough, software is 100%. Also you can set the amp's for the motors exactly.
    Every time I use the 'switch 4 method' I can hear the stepper motor 'singing' while it goes through the routine.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I think if you click Write to Ram you get COM error but write to EEprom you don't.?
    I always get a pop up message telling me to do a 'Read' before I can do a 'Write'
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

7. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

Every time I use the 'switch 4 method' I can hear the stepper motor 'singing' while it goes through the routine.
    Yes maybe does energise stepper but doesn't mean it's tuned correctly and still it doesn't set the Amps. Software is much better and takes any doubt away.
    Also with a little tweaking you can get motors running much smoother than the autotune does.

I always get a pop up message telling me to do a 'Read' before I can do a 'Write'
    Well yes suppose that makes sense really because you would want to read the drive for it's current settings before changing them.
    It's been a few weeks since I've used Protune as I've been using EM806 drives lately which have supaceeded the AM882 and the software is differant so can't remember if my Protune does this or not.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Eddy, I've been playing with Protune on my XP machine today. I kept getting the error that you show. After a bit of research it turns out that it is due to the file stored in RAM on the drive being generated in a different language (probably from a Chinese machine).

If you go to Control Panel - Regional and Language Options then click the Languages tab and tick 'Install files for East Asian Languages', once it is applied you won't get the error message anymore.

Si.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firetrappe For This Useful Post:

Here is an example of what I am seeing. The four error screens should be read right to left.

1.Start ProTune, Select Com1 all ok so far.
    2.Select 2nd icon from left, Read/Write drive parameter. OK So far.
    3.Immediately I get error message 1, please check if the communication cable or drive is OK.
    4.I click OK and I get the message Read finish successfully.
    5.I see Screen 2. The parameters Configuration screen.
    6.I leave this open or closed, dosent matter, I want to do something interesting and Select 4th icon from left, System Config.
    7.Immediately I see Com Error! message, Please check connection and restart!
    8.I click OK and immediately I see screen 3, the SystemConfig screen, clicking Start does nothing.I cant close this screen top right.
    9.So I decide to close the whole application, restart and go straight to System Config, I see error message 4, Com Error, Fail in reveiving monitor data.
    Thats about it, I have to click OK 4-5 times to close the dialogue and the protune app essentially does nothing for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ProTuneMsg4.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	12141   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ProTuneScreen3.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	12142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ProTuneMsg2.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	12143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ProTuneErrorMsg1.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	12144  

I'm still not convinved I have the cable wired correctly, can anyone confirm the pinouts above please? They are as per the leashine data sheet but I just want to be sure.

Tony, it looks like a problem with the cable to me. I bought mine from Gary @ Zapp so i'm not sure of the wiring. There is a little thread on Zapp's forum which talks about the cables : Zapp Automation Ltd

Not sure it it'll help, but maybe worth a quick read.

Si.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to firetrappe For This Useful Post:

I'm almost certain it's not going to be COM1, did you look at the ports in device manager ? while you are on that page, keep plugging/unplugging your interface cable a few times so you can identify which component is changing then you can see which COM port it's using.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 20-04-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information