. .

Thread: pillar drill?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ok i'm getting somewhere with the design of my machine and as i start to think ahead to how i'm going to assemble everything, the thought of using my cordless drill as reliable as it is, fills me with doubt over the accuracy i'll obtain from this method.

this has lead me to think about buying a pillar drill, so... is the following suitable for drilling steel box section ready for taping so i can mount my rails? would i also benefit from some kind of centre punch? it's been about 12 years odd since i did any metal work at college and somewhere deep in my memory i'm sure a centre punch help get a more accurate hole? so could somone recommend one if i need it

ROTARY PILLAR DRILL DRILLING PRESS BENCH MACHINE TABLE - 3 YEAR WARRANTY | eBay

and while we are talking tools...

EVOLUTION FURY 3-b 210mm Mitre Saw 240v CHOP SAW CUTS METAL AND WOOD | eBay

for cutting the box section if it is i can't find anyone to cut my steel to size or they want too much??

I have a (relatively) cheap pillar drill, similar to that one, and it's acceptable.
    Drilling and tapping all the holes in the box section before mounting the rails is not a good plan, especially if you're marking them out by hand. For supported rails it's easiest to put bolt in the end of one rail, slide the gantry back and fourth so that they align, put a bolt in the other rail and repeat that procedure until they are well enough attached to drill and tap the rest of the holes. Drilling them in situ like this makes it much easier to ensure the holes are accurately aligned.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

aye that is the intention, but i still feel it'll be easier to do with a pillar drill instead of by hand with my cordless, and as christmas is coming it's a perfect excuse to get it bought for me as there aint nothing else i need/want that anyone else can afford.. i'm even tempted at the moment to get my siblings to buy me a nema 23 each haha

might be better with a band saw wilfy for your box section, but the accuracy of such might be lost a little.

I find an old tap is as good as any centre punch, so long as it has a pointy end. others may disagreee and say that they shatter but ive never had this happen.

The pillar drill should be fine so long as you take your time, perhaps double drill your holes, pilot then main size.

for marking out, try a cheap digital vernier caliper, an engineers square and some good old marking out blue dye.

The drill you have posted seems at a good price and at a budget would be ok for light work, up to and including what you want to use it for. So long as you have some cutting fluid to lubricate the drill, and PECK (go in 3mm come out, repeat, repeat, add fluid, repeat) drill you should be fine, remember to run the drills at an appropriate speed and feed too.
    Last edited by Hobgoblin; 05-11-2012 at 09:26 PM.
    Hobgoblin.

Quote Originally Posted by wilfy View Post
    aye that is the intention, but i still feel it'll be easier to do with a pillar drill instead of by hand with my cordless, and as christmas is coming it's a perfect excuse to get it bought for me as there aint nothing else i need/want that anyone else can afford.. i'm even tempted at the moment to get my siblings to buy me a nema 23 each haha
    If you started as johnathan said, then gave a good mark through the other holes left to drill you could strip it down and drill said marked holes on your pillar drill.
    Hobgoblin.

If your looking at chop saws make sure they will cut to the width you require. Personally I prefer compound mitre saws, not that much more expensive if you shop about but far more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    If you started as jonathan said, then gave a good mark through the other holes left to drill you could strip it down and drill said marked holes on your pillar drill.
    +1 .......
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

cool seems like i'm thinking in the right direction then

although i'm looking at compund mitre saws and yes as u say there are some just as cheap as what i linked.. but i'm being stupid 2nite and cant see the difference between them and a chop saw

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    Thought about buying secondhand wilfy, might save you a bob or two and if it has been working fine for the last 30+ years it will probably do fine...

Clarke CDP151B 300W 5 Speed 13mm Professional Drill Press Pillar Workshop | eBay

Press Pillar Pedestal Drill | eBay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information