. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    not quite cnc related unless i end up living in my van (might happen the way the nhs is going)

i'm looking to run 12v dc from my van through this mppt charge controller

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG043.jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	245.4 KB 
ID:	7342Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG036.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	232.9 KB 
ID:	7341Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG028.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	7343Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG029.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	7344

is it possible to to connect the 12v dc into two of the AC inputs ?
    or should i bypass the rectifier and add the 12v dc at the + and - in picture 2 ?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    What exactly are you trying to acheive?

You could connect the DC into the AC outputs, but you're going to get a voltdrop due to the rectifier diodes, so you could bypass them, if that's what the + and - are. You could also connect it through the solar panel connections.
    However will that controller be able to handle the power from a high current source?

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    What exactly are you trying to acheive?

You could connect the DC into the AC outputs, but you're going to get a voltdrop due to the rectifier diodes, so you could bypass them, if that's what the + and - are. You could also connect it through the solar panel connections.
    However will that controller be able to handle the power from a high current source?
    I want to add a large solar panel so I don't want to use those inputs if I can help it
    I assumed the controller would draw its maximum 600watts wind from the van and 200watts solar, I just need to knock off all the functions that are meant to protect your wind gen from over speed or it will start dumping energy through the dump load or isolate itself from the load altogether

I have taken I bit of a punt attempting to using this method but it should mean the two charge voltages wont compete with each other (one knocking the outer into thinking the batteries are full) as they would if I used two separate charge controllers... the more I squeeze out of the solar the less diesel ill use while driving is the theory

What a co-incidence, last week I persuaded my Mum that solar panels were now cheap enough to pay for themselves in a realistic amount of time, so we bought 4*190W panels which will go on the shed. I've already got two suitable inverters, the batteries and cable (can get that from uni too), so it's going to be fairly cheap to do. I've now started designing an MPPT controller as they don't look that difficult, just a buck converter...famous last words perhaps!

Anyway, like m_c I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here? Taking 12V dc from the van (battery, alternator?) through the controller into what... some batteries? If so why? Oh are you charging the van battery with solar to offset the power drawn from the engine via the alternator?
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Anyway, like m_c I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here? Taking 12V dc from the van (battery, alternator?) through the controller into what... some batteries? If so why? Oh are you charging the van battery with solar to offset the power drawn from the engine via the alternator?
    I'm converting an extra long wheelbase sprinter van into a camper... I'm now at the point where I'm ready to add two 125ah batteries and wire it all up before i add to much of the interior that it becomes difficult to run wires up and down the length
    i'm looking to fit a 250w panel on the roof so i'm not drawing current from the alternator all the time (wasting diesel) and i don't want to be reliant on running it just to charge the batteries, iv also the option of adding a wind gen if the need arises.

sooo... if the shit hits the fan at work and we all get laid off ill park up on the west coast of Scotland put a wind genny up and run my cnc once a week for my beans on toast :)

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Add an intelligent split charge system.
    Otherwise if you want to bring the auxilliary batteries up quickly from the alternator, you won't be able to, and 600w is a pretty slow charge for that amount of capacity if they run flat, and that's if the charger can actually push out that amount.

I'm at work just now using my phone to reply, but I'll post later from a proper computer with some pointers for what you're trying to achieve.

Mark, it might be worthwhile also searching / posting your query on the caravan forum at Caravan Talk Forum?

I've previously seen similar threads on there...

cheers Andy... iv done quite a bit on those forums etc... its the reason i committed to this charger, I couldn't afford the "morning star" or "sterling" stuff (well I could... but I refuse to)
    I just came on here to confirm I would get away with jumping the built in rectifier on this model

the problem with the intelligent split charger (as I see it) is the lack of voltage, you only get what the alternator gives you, 13.4v I think it is in my van... I need the option to push up the volts to 14.8v and hold it there for however long it takes.

If you're doing this purely for financial reasons, then it's a rather long winded way to earn money given that it will take at least 5 years for the electricity saved to pay for the panel if you get it at a good price. Have you worked out how overall how much energy each appliance requires and thus how long you can run the CNC router for using the remaining energy? Electricity from diesel should be cheaper than from using solar panels.

For beans on toast you want a solar oven

It's annoying that you have to use 12v not 24v, since apart from the efficiency you're limiting yourself to more expensive solar panels.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

its not for financial reasons... its my little pipe dream to help me keep my chin up if i end up on the scrap heap
    i like the idea of the old travelling knife sharpener :)
    this charge controller will take 38v open circuit, i'm sure that's pretty typical for a cheap 250w panel

my cnc draws 130W 150W typically... it would draw a shitload much more if i leathered it but i took measurements on a typical run... my desktop will draw more than that when its rendering HD files
    im pretty sure i could run for six hours before i got to 50% then sit in the dark until the sun comes up lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information