. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    sooo... if the shit hits the fan at work and we all get laid off ill park up on the west coast of Scotland put a wind genny up and run my cnc once a week for my beans on toast :)
    lol
    .Me

Just thought id update this for the fun.....
    I have been living in this van for 7ish years now (I have access to a garage/workshop for my heavy gear)

In summer I can pretty much run my cnc as often as I like (lots of solar power), for winter I built a 12v generator out of a Honda GX100 by boring out a 100A alternator and fitting it directly to the Honda output shaft:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Honda gx100.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	551.0 KB 
ID:	28055

and controlled the current / voltage output with an Arduino (the motor, which was new, has done a couple of thousand hours now and is getting tired)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alternator controller.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	539.4 KB 
ID:	28056

I also have a Sterling alternator to battery charge controller for when I'm driving so I have three charging options.
    I'm still on the original Trojan t105 batteries (X2) and they are holding up (basically golf cart batteries)

So it can be done :)

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Just thought id update this for the fun.....
    I have been living in this van for 7ish years now (I have access to a garage/workshop for my heavy gear)
    Hell ! I had forgot about that. I will never complain about lock down again. Cheers
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Hell ! I had forgot about that. I will never complain about lock down again. Cheers
    Lockdown has been the only time living in a van has been a pain in the ass, I'm either parked outside work or on someone's drive at the mo.... not quite the dream :)
    Normally its blissful quiet interspersed by mad dashes to a launch field with my ultralight (especially this time of year) its breaking my heart to miss all this flying weather!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information