. .
    Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 06-02-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 275. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    The second hand CNC/Router that I have bought arrived yesterday, Seems very solid.
    I set Mach3 up with all the perimeters that were included with the machine.
    I had to disable the Estop button by making the value in Mach3 = 9 , it was supposed to be 15, but i could not successfully reset the machine like that. Another thing I have noticed is that the Y and Z axis micro switches do not show any leds in diagnostics when pressed. I have tried all sorts of values but no luck yet. I'm sure this is to do with my pc's printer LPT1 port, but I don't know how to do anything with that. The resources tab shows the same numbers that are in Mach3 . The wiring is correct, this is either a setting in Mach3 or my printer port settings.

Any ideas please ?

If you have no led indication for the micro switches & having trouble with the estop as well have you checked that there is power to them, if it's a newer computer with a 3,3v supply to the parallel port you may need to supply the bob with a seperate 5v supply

Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 06-02-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 275. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Its an old PC. I have never had to use the LPT1 port before. I will measure the voltage.

If the machine actually moves this will just be a simple Mach setup problem. The E-stop was actually working and changing pin selection proved So I would guess the rest of pins are fine.? What you should have done is toggle the active Low. Mach was sensing the signal the wrong side so thinks the E-stops activated.

Not sure what you mean about resource tab showing the same settings has in Mach.? The only number in ports&pins that relates to the LPT is port address and that is only entered in one place on the first screen. From then on the only number in the other screens IE Inputs,Outputs etc that relates to the LPT is port number 1 or 2 depending if you set port 1 or 2 on frst screen with the LPT address.
    With the limit switch( and all other I/O's) you will need to know the pin number from the BOB and enter that number in Port&Pins/Input signals/X++/x--/pin number do the same for each Axis.
    Without the BOB pinout you will be stabbing in the dark.
    After doing this check diagnostics screen and the M1++limit/2/3etc LEDs and if lit without switch tripped the toggle the Active Low again.

If you still struggle then post the make of the BOB and any pin info you may have I'll take a look for ya.

I did toggle the active low, and it works. But after saving this setting, then exiting Mach3, next time I start mach3 the settings are still what I saved them at, but I have to disable the Estop again. Sometimes, when I get it to work properly, half way through a movement the Estop starts flashing again, and I have to disable it. So I leave it disabled now.
    The micro switches seem to directly switch off the motors, but have no effect on Mach3. When the a given axis hits a switch, this cuts out that axis motor, but Mach3 thinks it is still moving. I'm not sure if this way is better than "Limit switches" or not so good ? or is it just not configured to Mach3 properly ?
    I have tried the "Automated setup of inputs" tab in "Input Signals" but it finds neither External Estop switch or micro switches.

Re-install Mach. It's possible your XML are getting corrupted and it's not uncommon for a re-install to fix that.

Also is this a registered copy of Mach 3 or running in trial mode.? If it's one of the dodgy copy's from china then dump it a get the latest lock down version from Mach3 web site.
    Check the version number and if it's a dodgy copy then I wouldn't be surprised if it's Mach2 or even Mach1.?

Ok I suspect the limits are tied to Enable signal of the individual drives but the Only way to fully know what's going on is to trace the wires back and see if they go to the drives or the BOB. It could also be a feature on the BOB but without knowing the BOB then can't say.
    Turning the drives off using the enable signal is Ok has it keeps the drives powered up and holding torque applied to motors but really you want mach to know about it and stop the code running. This is easy enough to do by passing the same wire thru an input on the BOB then telling Mach to watch it.

If your not sure then post pics of control box has it may help.

http://www.easy-cnc.com/web/download...s%28NEW%29.pdf

My motor driver is the one above (3 axis micro stepper motor driver )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manual.JPG 
Views:	388 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	7370

I have tried re-installing mach3. Didn't make any difference. If I use Pin 15 (toggled negative) for the Estop, the reset works for 8 seconds, and then falls back into a flashing Reset again. This happens every time. So I have disabled it.
    I have checked all wiring...all good. The Driver has its own PSU that the previous owner has set up. The Driver circuit is new.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post

Ok I suspect the limits are tied to Enable signal of the individual drives but the Only way to fully know what's going on is to trace the wires back and see if they go to the drives or the BOB. It could also be a feature on the BOB but without knowing the BOB then can't say.
    Turning the drives off using the enable signal is Ok has it keeps the drives powered up and holding torque applied to motors but really you want mach to know about it and stop the code running. This is easy enough to do by passing the same wire thru an input on the BOB then telling Mach to watch it.

If your not sure then post pics of control box has it may help.
    Can't find any break out board. Unless you just mean the screw down contacts on the driver board. This is the only connections between the PC and the motors that is accessible .

Thread Information