. .

Thread: CNC car

Hi Guys,

Need some advice as to a good reasonably priced contact who could mill a Car buck from a CAD design.

cheers.

The.cape

2. in what way mill a buck... out of wood in slot together boards or a solid block of alloy?

Sorry guys, not been too clear.

Ineed to have a full size buck cut out of a foam block from a CAD design. From this buck a mould will be taken to fit it to a chassis.

At the moment I could do with advice regarding what material to use for the buck. Someone has mentioned doing it in foam then some kind of metallic spray over it before taking the mould in GRP.

Hope that makes it a little clearer.

Thanks.

I've made an MDF mould for a wind turbine blade which worked very well. Just cover it in plenty of wax so that the resin doesn't stick and it's fine.
    It would clearly require quite a lot of MDF, but I should think the model could be split up to be made in manageable sections?
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Gawd, there's still sooo much to learn.... I was thinking "buck" as in "deer" and it obviously didn't make any sense... Lol

In case there are any other confused souls around, here's another thread with a picture that helped me understand this meaning of "buck" - http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/projec...es-please.html

So anyone recommend a good company who can do this in foam?

Quote Originally Posted by The.cape View Post
    So anyone recommend a good company who can do this in foam?
    Its having a machine big enough,mebbe Fineline in Bristol:

Fineline Manufacturing | fineline.uk.com

Quote Originally Posted by Musht View Post
    Its having a machine big enough
    Unless the part can be split up into several sections, machined, then glued together?
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

I'm sure I've seen a video on the internet of a guy (I think in Belgium) who built a monster machine to do something very similar, for a long while (in the video) there was no reason given for such a large machine and at the end he's making molds for fiberglass car parts, built himself a kit-car I think. I've tried to find it but cant see it anymore. I think that the guy eventually put it up for sale for around 10K Euro and sold it. It looked fantastic.
    Last edited by TonyD; 14-11-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Thread Information