. .
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
  1. Sometimes we go backwards....

Woke up Wednesday with pressure sores on left heel and right ankle due to leg muscle spasms during night (something you have to live with as a side effect of spinal cord injury). Meant I couldn't put shoes on and therefore couldn't practice bed to chair transfers so had to settle for 30min on weights machine.

However, after some debate was allowed go swimming and managed 14 lengths in 45 minutes, 3 more than last time.

Now have discharge date of 16 April, will be moving to accessible flat in Islington which I'm having to rent for a few months while house is being adapted, that's if the planning authority ever get to agree with anything remotely sensible - their current obsession with the rear roof line (which is invisible from road) means my lift has to be in the middle of the living room

Irving many years ago i was working on a job where they had a disappearing floor type lift. It was a circle that covered the base area of wheelchair, a square pole that sat against the wall. if it was up or down the upstairs hole was covered. The chair clipped into the floor, chances are this would not meet todays regs? but was siple lift solution for the home without taking tons of space up.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

3. Things move apace. Just as you get used to the daily routine its time to move on!

Rehab phase 1 is over, I have a full-time carer and next Thursday I leave Stanmore for a temporary rented wheelchair accessible flat in Islington until my house is ready. Going to be a whole new learning curve moving out of the safety of the institution back into a world I sort of have some control over...

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Things move apace. Just as you get used to the daily routine its time to move on!

Rehab phase 1 is over, I have a full-time carer and next Thursday I leave Stanmore for a temporary rented wheelchair accessible flat in Islington until my house is ready. Going to be a whole new learning curve moving out of the safety of the institution back into a world I sort of have some control over...
    Can your personal butler operate a lathe and hand solder smd components?

I hope you got the important questions in at the interview. :)

5. Quote Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
    Can your personal butler operate a lathe and hand solder smd components?

I hope you got the important questions in at the interview. :)
    Apparently these aren't standard capabilities, and you don't get to choose your carer....

6. Well, as of last Thursday 18th we're in the flat. We being me and my carer/PA Anett (Hungarian, single, 37, trained masseuse & cute size 10 :) ) nearly didnt get here as hospital transport was booked for 1pm, turned up at 6pm, got lost and drove like a nutter, surprised my head still on my shoulders!

Internet flakey as via tethering on phone an signal not great... but landline & bb arriving next Wednesday.

Been out n about in Islington (Upper Street) a few times now. Quickly learnt that no suspension on power wheelchair and pavements/cobbles/potholes are hard on the neck n shoulders.

7. Forgot to add, my friend Suzi, a lovely Yorkshire girl, is competing in her first triathlon (the Driffield Sprint) and is raising money for the spinal charity Aspire. Please consider donating at:

https://www.justgiving.com/Suzi-D/

8. Just a quick update as been a bit off colour last few days with yet another infection. Really knocks you back but feeling stronger now.

Having my own wheelchair adapted vehicle makes a huge difference. Got a KIA Sedona conversion that allows my wheelchair to be driven in the back and up to the front passenger location. So much better in terms of comfort and sociability than the van conversions that stick you up the back 'out of sight, out of mind'.

Starting to try and get some elements of normality into my life...

Went to Regents Park last bank holiday weekend for lunch and a pootle round the lake, managed to get out in the sunshine (that was Spring wasn't it?). Ice cream never tasted so good, if somewhat messy :) This weekend had a bbq in garden, again was nice to get out in the sun. The 'lake' is still there lol.

Been to cinema to see the new Startrek movie, enjoyed it but only give it 8/10.

Sacked my architect, planning issues were as much due to conflict of personalities as planning policy, interviewed and selected a new one who seems much more on the ball. Still its going to be at least another 6mo before I move back home.

Finally got the police report on my accident - only taken them 6 months though legally they are required to make it available within 12 weeks. Can't say more at the mo, but was amazed at the level of incompetence and inaccuracy in there (one example of many: report says it was daylight at the time yet sunrise is actually over 45min later) so filing official complaint, not that its going to make any difference.

Need to do arm/shoulder exercises to build upper body strength but only get 1 hour physio a week, so want to get a wheelchair-accessible multigym and hand ergometer (like an exercise bike for arms) but commercially available units are too big for home and stupidly expensive. Working on some ideas around using the weights stack off a cheap (~£390) multigym and getting someone to fabricate a frame for it. Also looking at ideas for modding a cheap bike trainer resistance unit for the ergometer on a custom fabricated stand. All input welcome!

Glad to see you're out and about and things are finally progressing. How is the movement in your fingers now? If you need anything soldering let me know, I'm good with an iron down to 0603 size, after that I use the iR oven or reflow station :)

10. Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Glad to see you're out and about and things are finally progressing. How is the movement in your fingers now? If you need anything soldering let me know, I'm good with an iron down to 0603 size, after that I use the iR oven or reflow station :)
    Fingers move after a fashion, but are useless for anything practical. On LH I can 'open' middle, ring and little finger but cant close them and have no control on index or thumb. on RH much the same but have some 'open' control on index and can twitch the thumb. things may improve over the years but have to assume not.

Thanks for your offer. Right now soldering stuff isnt on the agenda, my immediate focus is getting a multigym and a hand bike exerciser setup - the latter I want something that'll give me rpm, time and effort (watts) readouts, probably using an Arduino/touch screen. So looking for input/ideas on how to do it (I have a few) and then help fabricating it.

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread Information