. .
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
  1. Thought it about time I updated this thread...

We we've moved back in, though the builders are still here finishing off. About another month, and a huge snagging list - nothing major so far though. Gone way over budget, about 30%, so new workshop on back burner for now.

Trying to source automatic door openers for double front doors... stupidly expensive even on Aliexpress! After all, its just a motor/gearbox and an arm and some crude position/current sensing for end points and obstacle detection... can't be that hard to make one

Hi Irving, glad to here that you are getting there now with your house mods, and that you have moved back in. Are you at home full time now? I know what you mean about cost overun and snagging lists - I bet you are well on top of the latter, and that the builder will love you for it!!! You are dead right about the cost of door openers, we are looking into something similar for driveway gates, but it will probably be a non starter because of the costs. As you say, not rocket science, but astronomical prices. Anyway good luck with your new life at home - the new workshop will come I am sure. G.

3. Designing one as we speak, but trying to get head round force diagrams to figure arm sizes and shaft torques...

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Designing one as we speak, but trying to get head round force diagrams to figure arm sizes and shaft torques...
    Much too technical for me, but I know you will make it seem easy!!!G.

Designing one as we speak, but trying to get head round force diagrams to figure arm sizes and shaft torques...
    Good to hear you've moved back, I know the feeling living out of cardboard boxes after I had to move out because of Death Watch Beetle...
    As for the automatic door opener just get yourself a PA (blonde 20's) that will open more doors for you.
    Mike :)

6. Quote Originally Posted by longy View Post
    As for the automatic door opener just get yourself a PA (blonde 20's) that will open more doors for you.
    Mike :)
    I've got two, neither are blond tho... :) but I want to be able to go out to shops etc on my own....

I know that feeling of wanting to be independent. Irving try your local shop fitters they might be able to give you a good price for supplying and fitting the doors. Or maybe twist there arm for some info on loads etc. worth a try may they can always say no, but if you don't ask you'll never know.

8. The doors I have, complete with motorised locks. Its the door openers I need...

Trying to source automatic door openers for double front doors... stupidly expensive even on Aliexpress! After all, its just a motor/gearbox and an arm and some crude position/current sensing for end points and obstacle detection... can't be that hard to make one
    Stepper motor, ballscrew, driver, power supply, couple of microswitches, Arduino... can't be that hard to make one

hard part is the motion detection (without detecting he door) must ensure that any detection either stops the motors & goes free or smart enough to know which way to move (open or closed as required to release...and limiting the power if someone or something gets trapped behind or between

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread Information