. .
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
  1. managed to get outside being pushed for 20min. cold but fresh air! pretty exhausted all the time. police concluded investigation and decided no action to be taken :( got legal team looking at it.

Lives in Nottingham(ish), United Kingdom. Last Activity: 09-03-2013 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 55. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 2 times.
    I had 6mths of hospital rehab after my 'big off' but only spent 3wks in a chair. The first time my GF pushed me to the canteen to meet up with a big crowd of my biker mates . . . at first my mates were talking to her, asking her how I was, totally ignoring me as if I were some sort of brain dead cabbage, strapped into a wheelchair & slobbering on their shoes !

That hurt me more than anything that happened during those 6mths.

There is no gain without pain, everyday you must push yourself harder than the last one. They will make you do this, I assure you :-). The pain is not just physical it is mental as well, no one will ever understand the despair you feel when you come across something seemingly simple that you just cannot do. Equally, they will not understand the euphoria you feel when you finally achieve a goal you were working towards.

Probably the happiest day during my 6mths rehab was when I finally managed the toilet on my own :-)

Your medical team will constantly set goals for you to reach, you may find that Physio's can be particularly sadistic B#$t@rD's at times & sometimes they need to be. Everyday, work harder than the last one.

I found this chap an inspiration, he's as mad as a box of frogs but a good example of what can be achieved. His websites are sometimes difficult to navigate but there's a lot of info buried deep within them.

Here's a good starting point : POWER WHEELCHAIRS and ADAPTED MOBILITY VEHICLES

Good luck for your journey ahead & remember "there is no gain without pain".

3. Chas, thanks for that, you know exactly how i'm feeling right now. got shoved out to a general ward for 2 days... they had no idea how to deal with a spinal patient, set me back a week. now back in trauma ward. 2 days later, today was the first day i've felt strong enough to get online even after the physios!

Who knows what the future may hold Irving... Stem cell man

Lives in Nottingham(ish), United Kingdom. Last Activity: 09-03-2013 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 55. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 2 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Chas, thanks for that, you know exactly how i'm feeling right now. got shoved out to a general ward for 2 days... they had no idea how to deal with a spinal patient, set me back a week. now back in trauma ward. 2 days later, today was the first day i've felt strong enough to get online even after the physios!
    When you start feeling down, take a good look around you 'cos there will always be someone worse off than you.

Bikers have an organisation called National Association for Bikers with a Disability (NABD). Folk chuck money in a pot & that money is used to pay for modifications & adaptations to help get motorcyclists back on the road. It's absolutely amazing the amount of ingenuity that goes into some of 'em.

I see no reason why a home workshop couldn't be set up, adapted & modified to enable even the most severe of physical disabilities to be overcome.

Disability, I hate that word. They class me as 25% disabled in locomotion & 35% disabled in manual dexterity. I cannot turn a round door knob, so I changed every door knob in my house to handle type. I call that type of thing an "Ability".

P.S. Keep yourself as mentally active & stimulated as you can. When Jeremy Kyle & Trash in the Attic becomes the highlight of your day . . . it's all over !

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    P.S. Keep yourself as mentally active & stimulated as you can. When Jeremy Kyle & Trash in the Attic becomes the highlight of your day . . . it's all over !
    I'm DOOMED then lol :)

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

hahaha! winner :)

I get the impression Irving was born plotting the master plan... if you see him stroking a white furry cat run for your life :)

Lives in Nottingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11-11-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 176. Referred 1 members to the community.
    Irving I've just seen this - so sorry to hear about the accident. I don't think I can add much to what has already been said. It sounds like you're already making progress, so lots more of that please...

Using the brainpower not wasted on Jeremy Kyle for some fiendishly clever stuff sounds like a good plan.
    That man makes me want to throw bricks at the telly. In fact, if you can design a contraption to do that automatically for me I'll buy one for every room in the house.

Thinking of you.
    Tom

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    hahaha! winner :)

I get the impression Irving was born plotting the master plan... if you see him stroking a white furry cat run for your life :)
    It's not the white cat I'm worried about but if he changes his name to davros I'm digging a bunker...

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information