. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi guys , I have a ER-11 and I want to buy a tool that uses a 1/2 inch collet.. can I use the tool with my spindle ?

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think the largest size ER11 will accept is 7mm, but I could be wrong.

Think I've seen Jonathan previously recommend ER20 because it can take collets up to 1/2 inch.

Quote Originally Posted by WandrinAndy View Post
    Think I've seen Jonathan previously recommend ER20 because it can take collets up to 1/2 inch.
    Andy , would I need to buy another chuck etc to fit the 1/2 inch tool, the specs for the tool is below ? Is mine a 1/2 inch spindle in other words ?

"The drag knife fits into your CNC router’s 1/2 in. router or spindle collet, making it a universal fit for almost any CNC router available."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetide View Post
    Andy , would I need to buy another chuck etc to fit the 1/2 inch tool, the specs for the tool is below ? Is mine a 1/2 inch spindle in other words ?

"The drag knife fits into your CNC router’s 1/2 in. router or spindle collet, making it a universal fit for almost any CNC router available."
    Sorry FiveTide, afraid I'm not sure as I've never seen one of these spindle thingies... I just put that bit of info aside for when I get there.... Eventually... Lol

Conceptually, I think a larger chuck would be required but I would guess that the diameter of the spindle shaft would determine/limit the chuck size that can be used?

I'm sure somebody in the know will soon pop along to enlighten us both.

Edit: Have just picked up the following from Wiki which may help.... "The "ER" collet system, invented and patented by Rego-Fix in 1973, is the most widely used clamping system in the world.[3] ER collets are now available from dozens of companies worldwide. The standard sizes are ER-8, ER-11, ER-16, ER-20, ER-25, ER-32, ER-40, ER-50. The "ER" comes from an existent "E" collet which Rego-Fix modified and appended "R" for "Rego-Fix". The number is the cavity opening diameter in millimeters, which is nearly the outside collet diameter"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collet
    Last edited by WandrinAndy; 12-11-2012 at 04:30 PM.

If the shank on the tool is 1/2", then ER11 is insufficient since, as GTjim said, that size collet will only accept up to 7mm. The minimum size collet series that accepts 1/2" is ER-20 which goes up to 13mm, so unless you can make some sort of adapter which is 7mm on one end and has a 1/2" hole in the other...you're stuck. That may be possible since a drag knife isn't spinning fast, so the rigidity isn't so much of a problem. Possibly the tool itself could be modified on a lathe to give it a 7mm shank?

Looking at the tool in question..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box.jpg 
Views:	577 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	7372
    It looks like it could be modified, so long as it's not made from a very hard grade of steel, which seems unlikely.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Thanks fo the replies folks I'll ask the seller if it can be made smaller or they do say a smaller type is in the process of being made for sale.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

A drag knife puts a large sideways force on the shank, not sure it could be made that much smaller if it is not to bend.
    Just my 2p worth!

peter

Just wondering if I could make a dummy spindle for the tool, as it doesn’t actually spin it would only need to be a clamped in?

Ah just got a reply from the makers, they are going to do a 1/4 in the next few months, I'll wait for that :)
    Last edited by Fivetide; 13-11-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Try item 280992454015 on eBay. It's a vinyl cutter that you can get them to machine (tho it looks like they chewed it off not machined it off!!) the end to 6mm. It takes the Roland type blades which are about a tenner for 5.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information