. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Try item 280992454015 on eBay. It's a vinyl cutter that you can get them to machine (tho it looks like they chewed it off not machined it off!!) the end to 6mm. It takes the Roland type blades which are about a tenner for 5.

Thanks for that, you know for £20 must be worth a go :) just worried it will tear veneers , but hey ! its cheaper than £140 !

I found this for holding down the veneers as well Foot
    Last edited by Fivetide; 15-11-2012 at 01:13 AM.

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetide View Post
    Thanks for that, you know for £20 must be worth a go :) just worried it will tear veneers , but hey ! its cheaper than £140 !
    Not if it tears £121 worth of veneer! Not sure it's up to cutting veneer as it's only made out of Ali!!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Well I asked Colin , infact its the same guy I bought the CNC machine from, if it would cut veneer , this was his reply.. what do you think of his suggestion ?
    This one won't the blade edge is not long enough, this one will.. 281023225351 Item number:

Regards

Colin

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'd be inclined to go with his suggestion...will bookmark that for future reference!
    Neil...

Build log...here

What thickness is the veneer you will be cutting? Only problem I see with that is that vinyl is a very thin material plus you are only cutting through the actual vinyl not the backing sheet, if you are talking about cutting through veneer you will also need some sort of sacrificial material underneath so you don't cut into the bed or blunt the blade to quickly.
    Might also find a 60 degree blade will cut better than a 45 degree as these are what are used to cut thicker materials using sign plotters.

Quote Originally Posted by martin54 View Post
    What thickness is the veneer you will be cutting? Only problem I see with that is that vinyl is a very thin material plus you are only cutting through the actual vinyl not the backing sheet, if you are talking about cutting through veneer you will also need some sort of sacrificial material underneath so you don't cut into the bed or blunt the blade to quickly.
    Might also find a 60 degree blade will cut better than a 45 degree as these are what are used to cut thicker materials using sign plotters.
    Hi M8
    I think i would be inclined to make the spring loaded hold down clamp(if you have the facilities) and use the smallest rotary cutter. I was looking on e-bay for a little jobby i want to do and veneers seem to be about
    0.5mm thick, i usually make mine 3mm. You would as mentioned need to lay it on MDF sheet as described, not sure how thin you can get MDF but i used 9mm to skin some Bi-Fold doors i made a month or so ago.

I got the cutter I will give it a go and let you know the results, may prove to be useful to others int the future.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Will be interested to see the results. I'll probably get one of these for vinyl as they look ok.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information