. .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Ok just got the multi meter on the Transformer so i know where im going, atnd im getting 26.76vac using a single winding and 53.6vac using two windings and 80.1vac using three, so if i use the calculations provided by Jonathan of X*1.41 -1.1 to show the rectified Voltage
    I get:
    36.55Vdc
    74.48Vdc
    111.84Vdc
    Respectively
    I will be Using the forth winding else where..

So there is a start

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Just wanted to say thanks to you guys on this thread for helping me out with my power supply build. I managed to pull a good case out of the skip at work which I chopped and changed to suit. I used a 750KVA 0-25 0-25 transformer in the end in case I ever add a 4th axis. Wired the two secondaries in series and through a bridge rectifier and a couple of 80v rated capacitors. All working smoothly, giving a nice smooth DC output of circa 75v. I do still need to add a fuse on the output of the secondary, just waiting for the fuse holder to arrive from Farnell and It'll be complete. I've tried it with a couple of my DQ860MA drivers and all working very nicely indeed. Thanks again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0194.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	355.0 KB 
ID:	8072

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Re the caps. 80V rated might be a bit low !! I would suggest at least 100V for safety.

Good advice, I did think it was a little close but I had them to hand, I'll get a couple rated at 100v to replace them eventually, thanks Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by hoppo View Post
    Good advice, I did think it was a little close but I had them to hand, I'll get a couple rated at 100v to replace them eventually
    It is good advice. I also had some 80V capacitors to hand when I made mine, so that's what I used.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Yes I forgot to say if you have never seen one blow up, the mess they can make in unbelievable !!

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    one suggestion, it may be a bit late, and i'm no electronic expert. Most systems i've converted have a transformer for the drives and a seperate one for the logic.
    There must be a good reason for this as transformers are both heavy and take up valuable space.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Seperate supplies is more a commercial controller thing. You want to be able to kill the movement without killing the controller, just like with Mach/LinuxCNC, you want to kill the machine without killing the computer.

Some will use a seperate supply for the break-out board, as the BOB needs power and it's easier/tidier than trying to get 5v from the computer.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information