. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Looking smart! Have you had it running?

How did the converted atx controller go?
    I have still yet to design another spindle :(

thanks, i hav'nt yet converted the ATX so no test run yet, im also anxious to check the runout.

what are you looking to cut with the new design? will it be an ER collet?

much too early, but im looking to order a NTM 5060 & design a unit to hold an Arbour. i really want face milling capability, & ER collets dont seem to have that option.

Thats a big motor, will get some nice grunt from that but will lack rpm, would you be gearing it up a bit?

Being able to use a shiney new cnc lathe that i can get my hands on, im going to be trying to design and make a bt30 atc spindle. May be a bit optimistic. But time will tell.

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    very nice indeed. what size bearings did you use?

How have you pre-loaded the bearings? For machining metal you would ideally have a decent amount of fixed pre-load but for high speed they are normally spring preloaded. Having said that most of the spindles on ebay etc are spring preloaded and I believe people use them milling metal ok, as with all design its a case of compromise you have to decide how fast you want to cut metal as in reality you will just have to take slower and shallower cuts. This is the same problem I came up against when I was looking at a spindle capable of milling meatal and routing wood. I have put mine on hold as I have decided to go down the adjustable hydraulic pre-load and air/oil lubrication route, which means a lot more work and probably a few trial runs.

With all steel construction how are you going to deal with the heat dissipation at high speed? would a finned Ali housing for the motor be better? or are you using the top as the mount to the machine?

Look forward seeing how you get on with this.

@ Ross, im using 2 12mm ID AC bearings up front, Nachi #7201B i think they were. Rear is a 12mm radial bearing.

well, on the preload issue, i've got the bearing pocket slightly undersized in depth & im using a shim between the bearings. preload is by tightening down on the bearing retainer cover. its not very high tech, but i figure im going to run this as is & see how long it lasts. not very scientific i know.

as to the Heat dissapation, ive got one big vent hole to draw in air on the front of the square block with 4 smaller vent holes on the top of the block, where the motor mounts. the square block will bolt into the Z-axis moving plate with 4 bolts.

one thing im worried about is the weight. its at 5kg already, i designed my z axis on 4 THK RSR 9WN's...

Quote Originally Posted by totts View Post
    Thats a big motor, will get some nice grunt from that but will lack rpm, would you be gearing it up a bit?

Being able to use a shiney new cnc lathe that i can get my hands on, im going to be trying to design and make a bt30 atc spindle. May be a bit optimistic. But time will tell.
    man would i love to work on a CNC of my own =P.... oh well, guess thats why im here right? yeah thats a pretty decent looking motor. i figure i could convert 2 ATX's & pump out 24V @ 20A. like i said, its gonna be a future project.

Yeh luckly our work bought one :), so by converting an atx what is involved?

Quote Originally Posted by totts View Post
    Yeh luckly our work bought one :), so by converting an atx what is involved?
    lots of good tutes on youtube but i plan to follow this; Converting Computer ATX Power Supply to Lab Bench Power Supply - YouTube
    my atx throws out 20A on the 12V lines.

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevman View Post
    @ Ross, im using 2 12mm ID AC bearings up front, Nachi #7201B i think they were. Rear is a 12mm radial bearing.

well, on the preload issue, i've got the bearing pocket slightly undersized in depth & im using a shim between the bearings. preload is by tightening down on the bearing retainer cover. its not very high tech, but i figure im going to run this as is & see how long it lasts. not very scientific i know.

as to the Heat dissapation, ive got one big vent hole to draw in air on the front of the square block with 4 smaller vent holes on the top of the block, where the motor mounts. the square block will bolt into the Z-axis moving plate with 4 bolts.

one thing im worried about is the weight. its at 5kg already, i designed my z axis on 4 THK RSR 9WN's...
    That's the best way to do the pre-load. Most of the high end ones are done that way as it keeps the pressure equal, the draw back is that it is not easy to adjust.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information