. .

Thread: Which tap??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. I will need to tap holes from m5 to m12 on my build in Ali and Steel... I was thinking of buying my first set of taps... What do people think of these ??

http://www.toolbox.co.uk/draper-4089...ign=GoogleBase

That rachet is OK, I would also get a longer one of the same type, very useful, gets your paws out of the road!

Peter

Taps look to be OK, best to only get HSS
    Last edited by ptjw7uk; 18-11-2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: added notes

how does a ratchet work when your tapping then? i was taught to do 180 turn, then twist back a little to free the swarf then do another 180... if your using a ratchet i presume u just keep winding in till your done

Lives in Norwich, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13-09-2019 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 47. Received thanks 8 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHarris View Post
    I will need to tap holes from m5 to m12 on my build in Ali and Steel... I was thinking of buying my first set of taps... What do people think of these ??

Draper 40891 28 Piece Metric Tap And Hss Drill Set Part No: TDS-28 - Draper available at Toolbox
    I have that exact same set, I've found them to be very good.

Lives in Nottingham(ish), United Kingdom. Last Activity: 09-03-2013 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 55. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 2 times.
    A set like that would might be OK to start you off, but you're going to need to replace the ones you use/break most often.

I bought a comprehensive boxed set from M3 to M14 & replace when needed from MSC Industrial Supply Co..

I've been using these taps.....
    HSS Tap Set M8 x 1.25 8mm | eBay

....and these drills
    1 x 8.0MM COBALT DRILL BITS 8MM DRILLS TOP QUALITY | eBay

...today. Got about 50 holes of M6 and M8 drilled and tapped in ali and steel and the tools are just beginning to dull.

7. Thanks guys, now all I need to do is convince someone to fork out for christmas!!

Hi Wilfy
    The ratchet is most useful when cleaning up lots of threads in awkward places. Ypur right on the 180 backwards when cutting new threads. I find the ratchet is also useful for those very awkward places where a normal tap holder cannot go, not easy flipping the ratcket but needs must as they say!!
    peter

Morning Guys,

Typically I just buy what I need size wise as and when I need them, normally I would back the tap off a quarter of a turn then do my 180, I think some people use a little lube when tapping, personally I don’t bother.

As been said really I think the ratchet is most useful when doing your second and 3rd tap, not done any work with a bottoming tap to date so not sure a ratchet would make that job any easier.

Can’t say I’ve ever broke any either, would suggest using the right size bore for the tap you want to use.

.Me
    .Me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information