. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Hi all.

I've been planning my CNC build for an age now - you know how it is, back and forth... I'm a total novice so apologies if this sounds silly... Some of the plates I plan to use in the construction simply won't fit under my pillar drill for edge drilling - obviously I need any holes that are drilled to be central and squared to the plate... I had a think over the weekend and came up with a guide block:

Is this method feasible?

Thanks for your time guys.

w./
    Last edited by Wal; 07-01-2013 at 01:45 PM.

Can't see why it won't work.
    But would be quicker to make 2 with different internal bore diameters. Also quicker to swap from one to the other.

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Yeah, a one-piece would work I guess, and possibly be the better option.

Cheers.

w./
    Last edited by Wal; 07-01-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Fair enough.
    If its an on going job with lots of different sizes being made, would it not be wise to invest in a pillar drill instead?

Yep, got a pillar drill but not a floor-stander, the trouble is that some of the work simply won't fit and there's little point in me blowing hundreds on a new drill that won't get that much use... Even if I swung my existing pillar over the edge of the bench I'd still be having to mess with clamps/supports in the hope of getting a hole drilled square. Just thought this would be a nice simple solution to my problem.

Cheers.

w./
    Last edited by Wal; 27-11-2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Typo

Yes it's good idea, I have an old Record drilling jig with inserts left over from my woody days and I just dust it off when I need it , a small amount of time spent making one would save you a lot of time and money.

Phill

I don't think there's any need to use stainless steel - normal mild steel would be fine. You could make the inserts thread into the guide block. If you hold them with a grubscrew, machine a small flat on the insert for the grubscrew to push against otherwise the burr will stop the insert coming out easily. Could make the inserts 'top hat' shaped so that they're easier to pull out...
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Thanks guys. Nice suggestion regarding the flats, Jonathan - just altering the designs now...

Dom, I'll send through some diagrams tomorrow (this!) evening.

Cheers.

w./

Wal, it’s always nice to see people coming up with new innovative products that offer a solution to a problem. I look forward to seeing the new designs if you will be sharing them here as well.

The only thing I can’t see you've covered is how you will align the base unit over the location to be drilled/tapped. I’m thinking a rod made of clear plastic, bored out to almost all the way with a small center cross or a marking in the center of what would then be a tube with an end to it may work well, though I’m now thinking “but how well would you be able to see down the tube to place the mark/crosshair, L.E.D illumination built into the plastic tube?

What do you think, have you got something else in mind?

.Me
    .Me

Just as an aside.
    If you had swung your pillar drill over the side of the bench and clamped the plates underneath. The job would be finished by know, at no extra cost. :)
    Nice design and animation though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information