. .
    Got one of the Aldi ash collector bins for 11 pounds recently. It contains a hepa filter and looks like it will do the job for my proposed cnc machine. Any comments on why it won't work?

Its quite well hidden on their site, the link is here: ALDI - Hurry While Stocks Last - Limited Availability Price quoted as £15.99, you had a result there! :-)

There's some talk over at lumberjocks about it too where they seem to think it a good basis for modding to a cyclonic type, although perhaps a little small?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mocha For This Useful Post:

Wrote this then realised I completely missed the point. There are plenty of readily available designs for making a cyclone, so I'd just do that.

[It's difficult to get standard vacuum cleaners to work for dust extraction because the flow rate is quite low, particularly compared to the 'proper' dust extractors. If you can enclose the cutter sufficiently well it could work, but if not the problem is the dust is expelled at such a high speed that (without any barrier to stop it) it will not be caught by the vacuum.

I have one similar to this:
    Clarke CDE35B Dust Collector - Machine Mart

The flow rate for that is several times that which you can get with a standard vacuum cleaner. It can be improved by making a cyclone to accumulate the dust, which is simple enough.]
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

Hi Jonathan
    Thanks for the link to the Clarke dust collector. My CNC project is currently stalled because of a son at University using up my project funds! So I'm buying bits that might / will be useful and from all accounts a dust collector is useful to have especially when cutting wood!

Regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mocha View Post
    Its quite well hidden on their site, the link is here: ALDI - Hurry While Stocks Last - Limited Availability Price quoted as £15.99, you had a result there! :-)

There's some talk over at lumberjocks about it too where they seem to think it a good basis for modding to a cyclonic type, although perhaps a little small?
    Thanks Mocha I've seen the lumberjocks thread

8. I have the Triton version of that attached to my record power shop vac and while it has over 10 liters of capacity, cutting mdf or any light woods fills it up rather fast. At some time in the future I hope to upgrade it to a true cyclonic set up.

Michael

Thread Information