. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 06-02-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 275. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    My table on my "3 axis cnc/router" is a vacuum table, but the x axis is a moving axis, so I would assume it is difficult to use a pump with lines across the rails. Where can I get a "bolt on" replacement bed the same size with pre-drilled clamp holes ? The bed measures 450x300mm. / Or would it be a better idea to buy a vacuum pump ? but these seem very expensive. I plan to mill alu, cut plastic and carbon fiber.
    Last edited by dudz; 02-12-2012 at 02:50 PM.

If you need to mill alu then a vacuum bed is not much use since it's not going to hold aluminium. A combination of both would be good...

I could make you a bed with an array of tapped holes, or T-slots, from aluminium on my router. How thick would you want it? 20-25mm?
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 06-02-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 275. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    25mm sounds good Jonathan. I guess I need to take the existing bed off, to measure where the mounting holes would be and the sizes etc...?

I have alot of extra unused height above the Z axis rails, so I could move the spindle and Z axis up at least 50mm. I am just a little worried that when I undo the bolts and move it all up, I might not get it all "exact" to less than a mm for trueness and squareness . I have no gauges of any sort, and I wouldn't know which one I needed.

Just measured the distances between each side of the Z axis rails etc... There seems to be a couple of mil out on several parallel measurements. So I guess I shouldn't worry about moving it all. I know I can get it better than this.

6. Jonathan, how long did it take you to drill and tap all your holes on your bed? or is it an on going process?

Quote Originally Posted by AdCNC View Post
    or is it an on going process?
    Yes it is - I'm just tapping the holes as and when I need them.

Quote Originally Posted by dudz View Post
    25mm sounds good Jonathan. I guess I need to take the existing bed off, to measure where the mounting holes would be and the sizes etc...?
    If you can provide a drawing showing the existing hole positions and the array of holes that would be ideal. I've just noticed though, from the thread where we were discussing buying the machine, that the machine already has a tapped aluminium bed so I'm not sure why you need another one?

The existing bed has hundreds of vacuum holes, but only 4 tapped holes. The question is.....do I ruin a half decent vacuum bed by drilling and tapping it all out or make a new one ?. The vacuum bed is only 12mm thick, plus the plastic underneath which is 13mm thick.

Fair enough...
    The easy option is to just get the 25mm aluminium plate, mill it to size and drill the array of holes in it. Alternatively use the same thickness, but mill slots into it then add strips on top (something like 1.1/4"x3/8") so that you end up with T-slots which makes clamping much easier. In addition this means you can skim the bed flat a few times, or accidently make marks in it without worrying too much since the strips can simply be replaced which wont cost much.

What sort of clamps are there for that sort of set up ? or do you make your own ?. I suppose 10mm T slots ?

I try to buy everything on ebay for ease. What grade of Alu should I get for the bed ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information