. .

Thread: 7' X 4' Combi

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Ok using some of Jazz's Suggestions, Ive reworked the Z axis and included all machined parts im hoping to end up with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backplate wide mounts mk1b.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	250.1 KB 
ID:	7810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backplate wide mounts mk1.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	271.8 KB 
ID:	7811 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backplate wide mounts mk1d.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	286.1 KB 
ID:	7808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backplate wide mounts mk1c.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	291.9 KB 
ID:	7809Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backplate wide mounts mk1f.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	7812Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backplate wide mounts mk1g.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	173.8 KB 
ID:	7813Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backplate wide mounts mk1h.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	7814

Im Hoping Thats better than my first attempt, i've put pockets in to remove weight, whilst trying to maintain structural integrity..

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

if this works, you know you are making me one of these when i expand my empire. :D

btw why did you go for a weird size like 7' x 4' instead of 8' x 4' which would let you fit a full size sheet of anything?

Quote Originally Posted by wilfy View Post
    if this works, you know you are making me one of these when i expand my empire. :D

btw why did you go for a weird size like 7' x 4' instead of 8' x 4' which would let you fit a full size sheet of anything?
    LOL I will have to get one made for myself first hopefully ill get a few comments first, Then i will RFQ and see Who wants to make the parts for me..

The size? Hmmmm, i only needed 6' X 4' but you lose about 8" or more from the tool to the back of the gantry, so 7' covers what i need but is still considerably cheaper than going to the 8'. To actually have an 8' X 4' usable area can mean a machine of upto 9'..

Maybe iI will do a Full 8' X 4' usable area when ive comleted this One.. He He He..

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

4. Beautiful,

Only one question; how do you plan to lubricate the ball-screw that rides inside of Z? having run into this issue myself, I though it wise to point it out. One option is to machine a port into the plate and have the zerk (grease) nipple come out through it to the front and thereby save yourself from having any future issues with greasing the ball nut (not something that has to be done often but trust me not fun to do with having to remove half the Z to get at things. Other then that great design and keep on with what looks to be a wonderful build.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by m.marino View Post
    Beautiful,

Only one question; how do you plan to lubricate the ball-screw that rides inside of Z? having run into this issue myself, I though it wise to point it out. One option is to machine a port into the plate and have the zerk (grease) nipple come out through it to the front and thereby save yourself from having any future issues with greasing the ball nut (not something that has to be done often but trust me not fun to do with having to remove half the Z to get at things. Other then that great design and keep on with what looks to be a wonderful build.

Michael
    OMG!! thanks mate (Dont know your name) i left space to put ports in for the rail blocks but not the ballnut, and never incorperated them into the design.. Thats magic thanks for noticing that.. I will sort it now.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by m.marino View Post
    Beautiful,

Michael
    There You Go, Ive put a pocket in , it will be behind the stepper when the Z is fully up. Im woring on the placement of the limts at the moment so its not quite finished but I suspect I will post it for quotes in the next week or so, the trouble is eveyone is a little busy at this time of year.

Name:	backplate rev4 2.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	286.1 KB 
ID:	7834Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backplate rev4 full.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	285.6 KB 
ID:	7837

Name:	backplate rev4 3.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	7835Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backplate rev4 4.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	205.7 KB 
ID:	7836

Rick

Hi Rick,

See Little things but important and worth the little extra effort.!

First the linear rails and bearing pockets. Ideally you want registers to aid alignment/re-assembly and because your pocketing the bearings you can use the walls of these pockets has the registers by making sure the bearings on one side of each set of bearings aliagn with the walls (See Red circles in pics).

Also I'm sure this you know but I'll point out any way just in case.? The pockets have square corners and we can't easily machine sq corners. So the pockets will need additional length to allow for the radius of the cutter. (circled Blue)

Can I just ask what's the rectangular piece with 2 holes.? (circled green)

The top stepper bracket.? Is it a 2 piece part or single.? Doesn't really need to be 2 piece and could be single and still do the job. Also the little bits that lock into the pockets won't be needed and make the machining and fit harder than needs to be Again due to radius corners clashing with square edges.
    To be honest all the pockets and step down on top piece could also be done away with and reduce machine time without adding a massive amount of weight. Lot of work in that one piece that doesn't need or had much to the machine.

The I'd also leave a small skin 1-2mm on the lightening pockets on rear plate so it doesn't leave access for flying chips.

I know it's just probably to save drawing but remember all internal corners will have radius so take care this doesn't catch you out if anything is close on dimensions or catching.?

Edit: Oh Before those observing think I'm being negative or putting someones work down which to be honest I'm getting sick being accused off then Ric asked me to have a look and comment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backplate rev4 3.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	7838   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backplate rev4 full.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	7839  

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    OMG!! thanks mate (Dont know your name)
    A BIG clue is the last word . . . . . " Micheal ". . . . Lol

One other thing I don't see any reference to a ballscrew or bearing mountings for one.?

The slot up the centre looks rather narrow for Ballnut and it's mount has well.?

Firstly Jazz and i must say this at the begining and not the end, I dont want replies that are skirting round what im after, for fear of offending me, Im a grown man and i dont have time to waste, I like the direct responces and if i factor in a bit of northern sence of humour, i get a free grin to boot!!!

I also respect all those people who know better than me and dont see the comments as a personal dig, If i cannot do something because i lack Knowlege, experience, or indeed a little common sence, then its nice to know that there are those that will give replies i wont forget in a hurry LOL and i get their wisdom for FREE.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Hi Rick,

See Little things but important and worth the little extra effort.!

First the linear rails and bearing pockets. Ideally you want registers to aid alignment/re-assembly and because your pocketing the bearings you can use the walls of these pockets has the registers by making sure the bearings on one side of each set of bearings aliagn with the walls (See Red circles in pics)Also I'm sure this you know but I'll point out any way just in case.? The pockets have square corners and we can't easily machine sq corners. So the pockets will need additional length to allow for the radius of the cutter. (circled Blue)
    I have made the pockets for the bearings 70 X 48 with a bearing size of 65 X 46, the rails are 15 x 15 and the pockets for them are 16mm where applicable. if you think that needs changing let me know, its easy to change, and i have allowed enough space in the design for this

Can I just ask what's the rectangular piece with 2 holes.? (circled green)
    LOL i did wonder if anyone would ask and i didnt factor in the radiused corners in the back plate for it, I was going to tig that in to the back plate as a mount for the lower bearings for the back plate and the Y ballnut.

The top stepper bracket.? Is it a 2 piece part or single.? Doesn't really need to be 2 piece and could be single and still do the job. Also the little bits that lock into the pockets won't be needed and make the machining and fit harder than needs to be Again due to radius corners clashing with square edges.)
    I had wanted it to be a single part, pocket locks gone!!

To be honest all the pockets and step down on top piece could also be done away with and reduce machine time without adding a massive amount of weight. Lot of work in that one piece that doesn't need or had much to the machine..)
    Gone!!

The I'd also leave a small skin 1-2mm on the lightening pockets on rear plate so it doesn't leave access for flying chips...)
    Done!

I know it's just probably to save drawing but remember all internal corners will have radius so take care this doesn't catch you out if anything is close on dimensions or catching.?
    Yes it was to save drawing but i'm glad you have mentioned it, I will go over the design as i dont want any surprises as just the material will cost a mint so i dont want any surprises, Im determined to get this right.

Edit: Oh Before those observing think I'm being negative or putting someones work down which to be honest I'm getting sick being accused off then Ric asked me to have a look and comment.
    How much more negative would it be not to mention things, and watch me struggle when you could clearly have helped.

This is a free forum and if i get a bit of banter, well thats a small price to pay!! (and im free to give it back)

So many people read emotion into text that isnt there, I dont want you to stop being critical of any designs i submit, it will save me finding out the hard way..

Cheers Jazz

Updated designs will be submitted shortly..

Rick

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ricardoco For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information