. .

Thread: 7' X 4' Combi

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    if only everyone could read jazz's comments in the same way!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wilfy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    snip...

i dont have time to waste, I like the direct responces and if i factor in a bit of northern sence of humour, i get a free grin to boot!!!

I also respect all those people who know better than me and dont see the comments as a personal dig, If i cannot do something because i lack Knowlege, experience, or indeed a little common sence, then its nice to know that there are those that will give replies i wont forget in a hurry LOL and i get their wisdom for FREE.

snip...

How much more negative would it be not to mention things, and watch me struggle when you could clearly have helped.

This is a free forum and if i get a bit of banter, well thats a small price to pay!! (and im free to give it back)

So many people read emotion into text that isnt there, I dont want you to stop being critical of any designs i submit, it will save me finding out the hard way..

Rick
    +1 to that Rick. To me that is the best thing about all the people here who take the time and trouble to contribute. I'm not interested in fluffy platitudes, I'm interested in getting it right.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mocha For This Useful Post:

Nothing wrong with being load and proud. With the input you are getting Ric will turn out a very nice build. Rome was built together and not by one man (plus a huge amount of slaves)
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Swarfing For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    One other thing I don't see any reference to a ballscrew or bearing mountings for one.?

The slot up the centre looks rather narrow for Ballnut and it's mount has well.?
    I have two AC Bearings for the top mount and the Top plate has pockets accordingly 32x10 ID12 and a floating beatring for the bottom. (to suit a 1605 ballscrew) each half of the channel is 40x20mm so that should be enough... I think..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	isel ballnut.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	7843

This is the ballnut i will be using although im open to suggestions, If you think a better one could be used.

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

I have made the pockets for the bearings 70 X 48 with a bearing size of 65 X 46, the rails are 15 x 15 and the pockets for them are 16mm where applicable. if you think that needs changing let me know, its easy to change, and i have allowed enough space in the design for this
    All it needs is at one side of each set of bearings to have the side of the pocket line up with the edge of the bearing, so the bearing or rail Butt's upto it.
    So IE: On the Z axis have say the left bearings align with the pocket edges, same with rails on Left side. With the Y axis have the upper Bearings align with upper pocket edges, the rails you'll have to deal with on the Gantry but same applies a straight and true Register helps.
    The rest of the pockets can be any size so long has the bearings and rails fit inside and infact a bit of wiggle room helps.

LOL i did wonder if anyone would ask and i didnt factor in the radiused corners in the back plate for it, I was going to tig that in to the back plate as a mount for the lower bearings for the back plate and the Y ballnut.
    Ye thats what I feared.!! Don't do that it's too inflexible.! "Adjustment" "Adjustment" "Adjustment" is the secret to the whole machine and Esp the setting up of the Z axis and ball-screw alignments.
    Ask anyone who's done it the difference between working and locking up is silly small and if you haven't got easy or multiple ways to adjust then life will be frustrating.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 02-01-2013 at 06:38 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Ye thats what I feared.!! Don't do that it's too inflexible.! "Adjustment" "Adjustment" "Adjustment" is the secret to the whole machine and Esp the setting up of the Z axis and ball-screw alignments.
    Ask anyone who's done it the difference between working and locking up is silly small and if you haven't got easy or multiple ways to adjust then life will be frustrating.!!
    Ok Will look at that, any ideas jump out at you looking at it?
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Ok Will look at that, any ideas jump out at you looking at it?
    Just make each mount individual and bolt on so that if needed they can be adjusted or shimmed has needed.! Nothing fancy needed.

Just make each mount individual and bolt on so that if needed they can be adjusted or shimmed has needed.! Nothing fancy needed.
    Yep that makes sence, off to work now so speak when i get there, will have a look when i get to site.

Rick

13. Rick,

With that ballnut a good bit of the issue with lubrication is mute BUT still make sure you have access. I also see why you want to keep in near completely enclosed as that nut does not have protective flanges for the ball races. Therefore the less chance for swarf to get in the better.

Speaking from experience of a a design done with Jazz and he built for me and I have worked on a good bit and have had to lube and put shims back and all the fun that goes with it, listen to Jazz. Now hear is where I get to make a point a bit clearer. Lubrication is not just the ball nut. Those linear rail carriages are going to want a greasing once a quarter if you are using that machine with a daily use level (that is even with the protective scrapers).

Personally for myself I am setting up a bit of over kill as I am designing a lube system for my current machine that will be a lube block for X, one for Y and most of Z and a single lube point out the front of the Z plate with a cap for the ball nut.

Registers made setting up my machine take two days instead of a week ( even though it came up here in two heavy large sections it still needed squaring, truing and tramming. A side note to folks, tramming is something you should check once a fortnight to once a month (depending on how heavy your use is and what your cutting). My source for this information is a few friends back in the states that are having fun laughing at me stumbling along and learning (They are both 20 yr plus machinists and High School "friends" ).

You have a really nice design and with just a bit of adjustment it will not only do you proud as a finished build (ha, a machine is never finished), but the quality you put in and care to detail in the build has a direct result on the out come you get. I mean heck with the power supply I finally built and installed for my machine I am running acceleration level in scary land with rather nice rapids. When I get the feeds and speeds right (which is getting more often) I am getting wonderful finishes. Keep it up, doing good.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by m.marino View Post
    Rick,

With that ballnut a good bit of the issue with lubrication is mute BUT still make sure you have access. I also see why you want to keep in near completely enclosed as that nut does not have protective flanges for the ball races. Therefore the less chance for swarf to get in the better.

Speaking from experience of a a design done with Jazz and he built for me and I have worked on a good bit and have had to lube and put shims back and all the fun that goes with it, listen to Jazz. Now hear is where I get to make a point a bit clearer. Lubrication is not just the ball nut. Those linear rail carriages are going to want a greasing once a quarter if you are using that machine with a daily use level (that is even with the protective scrapers).

Personally for myself I am setting up a bit of over kill as I am designing a lube system for my current machine that will be a lube block for X, one for Y and most of Z and a single lube point out the front of the Z plate with a cap for the ball nut.

Registers made setting up my machine take two days instead of a week ( even though it came up here in two heavy large sections it still needed squaring, truing and tramming. A side note to folks, tramming is something you should check once a fortnight to once a month (depending on how heavy your use is and what your cutting). My source for this information is a few friends back in the states that are having fun laughing at me stumbling along and learning (They are both 20 yr plus machinists and High School "friends" ).

You have a really nice design and with just a bit of adjustment it will not only do you proud as a finished build (ha, a machine is never finished), but the quality you put in and care to detail in the build has a direct result on the out come you get. I mean heck with the power supply I finally built and installed for my machine I am running acceleration level in scary land with rather nice rapids. When I get the feeds and speeds right (which is getting more often) I am getting wonderful finishes. Keep it up, doing good.

Michael
    Cheers Michael, that ballnut as you say has no flanges, but that too is being worked on he (wink), worst case is I have to open up the channel by 6mm each side and fit a conventional or threaded ballnut, and I may go that way in the end purely for simplicity of duplication and security of the balls!!. I too am toying with the lube question, My Boxford has a lube system that looks after things and I'm thinking of fitting tubing directly to the bearing blocks, although for the moment I will be drilling lube ports in the plate and have left enough room to access the nipples that are fitted to the bearing blocks, the orientation of the blocks when fitted will allow them to be lubed without too much fuss, the bottom ones from underneath when the z is fully up and top when the Z is fully down. The Y axis will be accessible by lining up with holes that will be in the gantry itself, they will be covered when not in use. From Friday I will be tinkering with the design to take account of the Registers. Out comes the Vernier again!! LOL but its so worth getting it right.. Rick

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information