. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in North, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 03-12-2012 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 1.
    Hello,

Hoping to pick a few brains for some advice, I trust I came to the right place.

There is a total of £6500 to spend exvat. The machine will be used at a University to manufacture small projects and also allow teachers to learn how CAM equipment operates, therefore, it should ideally be suitable for use in secondary schools.

As is often the case with schools/universities, we have a ridiculous deadline to work to. We have to notify the relevant people of which model we wish to acquire by close of play today. I have eyed up the Denford MRC40 which is just shy of £5k exvat, any comments or suggestions on this model or which would be a more suitable alternative?

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated and acted upon

Denford are popular with educational establishments, but they are exceptionally expensive. I'm not sure who else to suggest, other than make it yourself/student project...
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    Looking at this video of theirs, is that a 500w kress spindle on a machine they charge £5000 ex vat for? Jon wasn't kidding when he said they were exceptionally expensive...

Denford MRC 40 - Versatile, Affordable Router, Miller & Engraver - YouTube

4. That is over price crap. Even with the cost a CE mark an the required insurance an overhead. You could build better then that an have both the machine an training experience together.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by m.marino View Post
    That is over price crap. Even with the cost a CE mark an the required insurance an overhead. You could build better then that an have both the machine an training experience together.

Michael
    Careful Micheal last time I called something "Over priced crap" I got Banned or nearly Banned . . Lol

If I only had 3 grand I would buy this , Eagle V I have the small version and love it , and Colin who sells them knows his shit and is forever helpfull lol , but if it was a Uni Jonathans suggestion .. a student project to make your own would be a great choice and good for the old CV :)

Oh and I'm making a chilli for tea :)

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetide View Post
    If I only had 3 grand I would buy this , Eagle V I have the small version and love it , and Colin who sells them knows his shit and is forever helpfull lol , but if it was a Uni Jonathans suggestion .. a student project to make your own would be a great choice and good for the old CV :)

Oh and I'm making a chilli for tea :)
    I'd sooner cut of my own testicles off with blunt stick than pay 3K for that and could easly build far better than that for £1500.!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I'd sooner cut of my own testicles off with blunt stick than pay 3K for that and could easly build far better than that for £1500.!
    Same here - Michaels response applies to that one too! Looks like just a CNC6040 with some paint and better electrics...still limited by unsupported rails and an air cooled spindle, to name but a few things.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

l .. hell what do i know about CNC's ! ?? But the Chilli was awesome lol !!

I'd still get someone to build one for me , because I'm not an engineer.. IM AN ARTIST YO KNOW .!..

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

10. FiveTide,

Trust me been down the learning curve the hard way myself. To the OP, seriously for the money you are talking about; not only could you build a better machine then the one you pointed too but would also have the practical engineering experience that will do you well out in the real world. There is a lot of crap coming out these days and what folks are saying in their ads should land them in court.

As far as getting banned, hope not, but I can point out with experience and engineering facts where these machines are crap and are lying their back sides off.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information