. .
    Hi All.

This is my first time ever on a forum like this. I'm a 64 year old scot living near Malton, North Yorkshire. I'm interested in buying or building (if I can) a cnc machine. I mess about with wood. I've been turning bowls and things for a couple of years. I've a few other woodworking tools in my 16' X 10' shed and got interested in cnc. I will be looking at the other threads later to see the best route to go down.
    Thank you in anticipation of your kindness and gentleness.

Hello RichardJ, welcome to the madness!

You're going to need a bigger shed! :-)

Thank you in anticipation of your kindness and gentleness. Sorry to disappoint you Richard your in the wrong place for that sort of treatment

Seriously, you will get a lot of help from people on the forum, first sort of thing to do is think about what sort of size machine you would need, what materials you would want to be able to machine & what sort of budget you have.
    As for buying a machine versus manufacturing it yourself then it comes down to how quickly you want to be using it, if it's for business use then sometimes better to buy as your up & running almost straight away but if it's just for hobby use then building is quite often a better option as you have the experience and reward that goes along with DIY plus it makes maintaining it a bit easier as you will know the machine & how it works. Have a look through some of the build logs & it will give you a good idea of what is involved in building your own machine.

Thanks for the welcom Mocha. I would like a bigger shed but the only way is up.

Thanks Martin54. I know I'm in good hands realy. I've read some threads. Everyone seems very helpful. Mind you I might try their patience.

Hi Richard,
    I'm new here aswell, had a great welcome so far.
    I'm going down the build route myself and im currently getting the garage in preparation for the cnc machine.
    like the others say you need a bigger shed!
    Don't be too terrified, its half the fun!

Thread Information