. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Damn you Robin.......now I want one :)

Would be useful to be able to make my own gears for my RC helis...guess I'll have to add that to the long list of "nice to haves" that I currently have!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Yes, I forgot about the heated bed. Also what goes on the heated bed! Mine came with perf board, bulldog clips and a scraper thing so you can get it back to flat for the next job. Other options seem to be paint and tape. Apparently it has to get a good grip on the bed or things go to hell in a handbasket PDQ. I haven't had any problems, yet.

Close up pics. It seemed a bit unkind to point digi-microscope at it before I had it all figured out, but I'm not selling 3D printers so what do I care.

3d1.jpg shows the printed item still attached to the perf board with the "support raft" still in place.
    3d1a.jpg is a close up of a gear tooth top.
    3d1b.jpg shows a gear tooth from the side
    3d1c.jpg shows an M4 spacer pushed in to a hex hole. It couldn't quite smear the plastic surface on the thin edge so you can see the internal structure.
    3d1d.jpg is about as bad as it can get. This is the botttom of a 27.5mm tube resting on the bed so it is all requiring support from below.

Edit: To be fair I should remind you that I haven't pressed the "Fine" button yet. This slows everything down so it can get more heat into the plastic. These were printed using the default settings which is reasonably quick. The big gear took about an hour 45.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3d1.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	318.5 KB 
ID:	7540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3d1a.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	7541   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3d1b.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	7542   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3d1c.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	250.0 KB 
ID:	7543   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3d1d.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	7544  
    Last edited by Robin Hewitt; 09-12-2012 at 12:36 PM.

I've been itching to get or built a 3D printer for a while and almost ordered a Makerbot Replicator until I saw these: Formlabs - High Resolution Desktop 3D Printer

Chris

At last, something useful !

I saw this on thingiverse and made it twice before I realised his design was crap.

Redrew it from scratch and it works a treat.

http://www.robinhewitt.net/Printing.wmv

Has to be good for 99p on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by Washout View Post
    I've been itching to get or built a 3D printer for a while and almost ordered a Makerbot Replicator until I saw these: Formlabs - High Resolution Desktop 3D Printer
    Yes it is delicious, but this is the kickstart resin printer I mentioned. I understand they got whacked with a patent violation

Lives in Nottingham(ish), United Kingdom. Last Activity: 09-03-2013 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 55. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 2 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    Yes it is delicious, but this is the kickstart resin printer I mentioned. I understand they got whacked with a patent violation
    & they'll be bogged down in that lawsuit till the money runs out. The kickstarters 'might' get their machines but I doubt they'll risk any kind of mass production & I doubt they'll win the lawsuit. Which is a damned shame.

Hi Robin, that looks brilliant, I want one. However I have no chance of getting one as I have a large new laser in the garage which has never even yet got around to fitting the tube!!!
    The piece you have made I assume was drawn in 2d. Are you able to draw in 3d as I dont even know where to start, and would to try to find a course(for the simple minded.

Regards,G

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    Hi Robin, that looks brilliant, I want one. However I have no chance of getting one as I have a large new laser in the garage which has never even yet got around to fitting the tube!!!
    The piece you have made I assume was drawn in 2d. Are you able to draw in 3d as I dont even know where to start, and would to try to find a course(for the simple minded.

Regards,G
    Have you tried sketchup? Used on this forum by quite a few & lots of tutorials available for it

Trimble SketchUp

Thanks Martin I will give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    The piece you have made I assume was drawn in 2d. Are you able to draw in 3d
    It is not easy to get out of the 2D mindset and let the jolly old creative juices flow. We tend to work in bar, plate and rod because that is what is available and it can be pricy stuff so you don't want to machine too much of it away.

To go 3D you really need to work in clay or hammer forged iron, but that doesn't help much if you are trying to produce a 3D drawing you can cut from.

Most 3D drawing is done by extruding 2D drawings either as lumps or holes, running shapes around outlines and lofting.

Lofting can be either three stacked 2D drawings connected with flowing curves that morph to fit each shape in turn. It can be two 2D drawings and a trajectory line. You can get really arty-farty with a bit of lofting.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information