. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Chester, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 26-09-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 20. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    I recently posted a VFD noise interference problem question. after looking at the answers I have decided that I shall renew the connection cable between the VFD and the spindle..its a 1.5kw water cooled as a belt and brace operation. Just asking I have managed to source the correct connection plug from the US but have two questions to ask further about the actual cable.

1/ Is this cable in the link below suitable as shielded cable..I worked out the cable dia is 1.6mm so capable of approx 10 amps and 2000 watts.

2. the cable shown has a ground wire as well as an earth ...Am I right that this ground wire is connected to earth at the VFD end only and not at the spindle end ?

BELDEN 19364 SHIELDED MAINS POWER CABLE PER METRE | eBay

Many many Thanks

Try CSE cables and at £0.66 Pence meter for 1.5mm/sq or £1.03 for 2.5mm/sq much easier on the wallet.!! CY Cable 3 Core
    You'll get away with 1.5mm/sq on the 1.5kw spindle or belt and brace it and use 2.5mm but warn you it gets tight fitting in the connector.!!

Correct take the Shield to VFD ground or Star ground in control box only.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Lives in Chester, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 26-09-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 20. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    Thank you Jazz....Christ that is a lot cheaper...about 80% saving. have ordered 25 meters of 1.5 for the spindle and 3 meters of 2.5 for the mains hook up (min order was £25) so all up with postage at £10 came to £36 ish...still half the ebay price and ended up with twice as much cable. Going to try and mount the VFD close than they guy had it...but if it still gives interference got plenty of cable to stick it the other side of the workshop. Thanks again
    Last edited by PWD; 10-12-2012 at 01:29 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PWD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    Going to try and mount the VFD close than they guy had it...but if it still gives interference got plenty of cable to stick it the other side of the workshop. Thanks again
    No don't do that it's the cable upto spindle thats acting has transmitter.!! Longer cable more powerful transmitter.!!

If you have interference then look else where.! Check you have Good Star grounding and ALL Signal cables are shielded and grounded with decent separation from any mains power or high frequency cables like VFD cable to spindle. Also Use an input filter on the mains into VFD.

Hi PWD, Thank's for posting this, I'm in a similar boat, just about to build my Electronics box, and I'm looking at a 2.2kw spindle to a hitachi omrom x200.

@Jazz, Hope you don't mind, I've PM'd you rather than hi jack PWD's Thread.

Just wish I could contribute more.

Regards
    Rick.

Cheers again then Jazz...as you can see its all new to me. Will it be OK to use the shielded cable to supply the VFD with power from the mains . Have got some emi filters already, they are the type that has the cable pass through twice..is this OK.

Again indebted to you ... ever you have a problem with a dog re training I can pay you back :-)

Rick everything I have begun to learn about this CNC malarkey I have got from reading others posts...seems some problems just exists for everyone of sorts..good luck

Again indebted to you ... ever you have a problem with a dog re training I can pay you back :-)
    Ah ah now you may just get that chance to pay back.?? . . . .Checkout my new partner in crime. .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xmas shot 2[1].jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	7584

11 weeks and off her Foookin head already. . . Lol

Labs ...don't know why folk say they are calm ...great fun though mate, and make great gundogs if you get fed up of CNC,ing...she can retrieve already by the looks

Thanks PWD,
    Jazz your sidekick looks like she's already raring to go with the Gun dog bit, I've seen some really cool things on you tube that them thar CNC machines can make go Bang! "Cwazy Americans!"

Labs ...don't know why folk say they are calm ...great fun though mate, and make great gundogs if you get fed up of CNC,ing...she can retrieve already by the looks
    Yep I know all about that and she's replacing one who's now waiting for me at Rainbow bridge. .

She's going to be a great GD and didn't even flinch on bonfire night with what felt like 10,000lb bombs going off around the house. She was sat outside with me watching the pretty patterns in sky and the only one jumping was me. . Lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information