. .

Thread: Cupola Furnace

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    There has been a bit of interest on here in the small homemade alu furnaces but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with usable amounts of cast iron?

Like this sort of scale furnace, still realistically doable for a group of serious diyers.

"kinda like throwing gasoline on a fire" obviously the non-sense monger that spewed that didn't learn a great deal from that pour... lol
    ive melted aluminium and its worked reasonably well (Lionel Oliver style setup) but iron is a whole different ball game. if i had a few more lads locally who were interested i certainly think it is do-able but it aint easy.
    small home brew cupola furnaces seem to have a tendency to collapse and i have been put off by a lot of failed attempts. i guess im just waiting for a good repeatable design to show up...
    there are so many smart lads on this forum that it must be possible to come up with a good cost effective design that can withstand multiple melts.

Thread Information