. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi guys,

This is my first post.

I'm planning to build my first CNC machine, it should be rotuer/mill machine on which I would do some work on wood and if possbile on aluminum - for rest it seems that budget must be huge.

First parts are ordered , SBR16 supprted rails , stepper motors , ballscrews (SFU1605), cheap chinese stepper controller up to 3.5 amps, breakout board ...

Now I have couple of questions ...

1) I would appretiate if you would take a look at attatched picture and give some comments .. I plan to use aluminum 100x10 mm for building gantry, or at least most of gantry, cause it could that 100 mm is too narrow for some parts of Z axis. But I will deal with it later.

2) Ballscrew end support seems to be really expensive(at least 160 usd for 3 Axis, BK12 and BF12) , is there any cheaper way of doing this ?

Thats all for now ... Thanks and I'll keep you posted ... I hope to finish this in next couple of months, I'm just waiting for a lot of stuff to arrive and it seems to be taking a long time from China to Croatia :)

Kind regards Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First_sketch.jpg 
Views:	1000 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	7586

Sounds like you've got a TB6560 controller, you'll regret it.

1) 10mm is too thin for the Z-axis, 20mm would be much better.

2) Have you tried linearmotionbearings2008 on eBay? Send him a message to get the 'best price to you'. If you've got a lathe you can make your own, which should be much better and more accurate than the cheap ones that often need a bit of adjustment to get working well.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

20 mm thick aluminum? You really think it must be that thick? It will be problem to find I think.

And why you think this controller is gonna be such a problem?
    Last edited by Lovre; 11-12-2012 at 04:53 PM.

You could instead fasten some extra 10mm aluminium to the front of the Z-axis to make it a C-shape, which would be strong enough.

Read some of these:
    TB6560 - Google Search

The short answer is it can only safely drive the motors at a very low voltage (24V), so you will get far less torque from the motors than if you used better drivers. Which motors did you get?
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post

Read some of these:
    TB6560 - Google Search

The short answer is it can only safely drive the motors at a very low voltage (24V), so you will get far less torque from the motors than if you used better drivers. Which motors did you get?
    I was reading some of this threads, but it seemed to me that it should not be such a problem.

At 24 volts my steppers can make X axis 3Nm, Y axis 1,9 Nm, and Z axis 1,3 Nm. I thought that it would be enough, but maybe I must make calculations.

Think you will find that 10mm aluminium on its own is nowhere near ridged enough for the gantry especially if you want to cut aluminium. Plus how do you intend fitting the top supported rail if gantry is only 100 wide or have I picked you up incorrectly which is more than likely.
    You also seem to have quite a large z axis travel, what's the travel on the z axis??

Quote Originally Posted by martin54 View Post
    Think you will find that 10mm aluminium on its own is nowhere near ridged enough for the gantry especially if you want to cut aluminium. Plus how do you intend fitting the top supported rail if gantry is only 100 wide or have I picked you up incorrectly which is more than likely.
    You also seem to have quite a large z axis travel, what's the travel on the z axis??
    I just found shop that sells 15 x 120 . Will this be sufficient ?

I was thinking of combining, maybe putting vertical parts of Z axis in 15 x 120, and rest of horizontal parts in 10 x 100.

I'm a little worried about weight of whole thing(15 x 150 is 6,2 kg/m, and 15 x 120 is around 5kg/m), so this is why I want to combine different thicknesses to save some weight.

Travel is not so big in my opinion, it is some 250 mm (rails are 350 in total).

Horizontal parts don't seem to be problem cause I think SBR16 is going to make whole construction tougher.

I'm actually thinking what could I use on side of bottom plate, maybe 50x50x4 mm aluminum tube ?

Looking at your Z axis, where are you planning on putting the ball screw as there does not seem to be any space between the rails for it?
    Neil...

Build log...here

Yes you are right, I think I wrote that. Z axis must be at least 20-25 mm wider... Its just first sketch.. I must change that...

If you're using 1605 then the ballnut is 50mm wide I think if it's got a flange like you're showing in your drawing, I'd check your dimensions as 25mm wider will still not be enough!!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information