. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by WandrinAndy View Post
    I may even go with the USB-CNC software+hardware instead of Mach3+ESS+Bob if I've understood things correctly.
    Just be careful with the naming/packages ....the program I was speaking of earlier is called CNC-USB, rather confusingly I believe there's also a product out there called USB-CNC...I know zilch about it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HankMcSpank For This Useful Post:

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    For people that have an open source fetish or are broke and don't want to pay for software there is a good tutorial here for an all free workflow. It's worth pointing out that most of this software will also work just fine on windows (gimp, inkscape, pycam) I'm not 100% sure but I don't think EMC2 will work on windows at all.

Open Source CNC Toolpathing Workflow

The only drawing program I have ever used was the free version of SKETCHUP some time ago and I could easily use that to design my machine.

Or I could use the design exercise as an opportunity to get accustomed with more of a proper CAD program that could also be used to design parts for the machining workflow after the build.

Based on what I have learnt on this forum, I am currently favouring VIACAD 2D 3D V8 which at less than $100 USD looks like decent value-for-money for me as a hobbyist with very limited budget, so I have just downloaded the 14-day free trial.

Does anybody on the forum have good or bad views of VIACAD 2D 3D V8 please ?

Thanks, Andy
    Last edited by AndyGuid; 04-10-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Just a quick heads-up for anyone that uses Sketchucam, a new version was released last month which has quite a few updates and new features. It looks like you need to register to download it now, but it is a 'free' solution for simple gcode generation from within Sketchup.

There is also another plugin for Sketchup in development at the moment for use with 3,4 and 6 axis machines which is getting close to completion : Sketchup Plugins for use in Aircraft Design | FoamCasualty

Si.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information