. .
    Can anyone recommend welding suppliers for welding rods, etc.

Jim

I just buy mine locally from an engineering supplier, don't buy large quantities so not really worth buying online for me, boxes are quite heavy so by time postage has been added I doubt if I would save anything.

Last welding rods I got was from Toolstation > Power Tools > Welding Equipment
    Over £10 post free!
    Only have general welding rods but Worked for me
    Peter

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Last rods I bought were from Welding Supplies and Welding Equipment | Plasma Cutters | TIG Welder, MIG Welder, as they were the cheapest I could find for LoHy (7018 IIRC) rods.

I usually just google for what I'm looking for, and compare. I've bought from several places in the past, with the biggest issue being knowing what you're looking for.

Anything specific you're needing?

Thanks for the replies.
    I intend to weld a frame out of SHS with a wall thickness of 4mm, but was told that there was a big difference in the resultant weld between good and poor rods and size selected.
    So for mild steel should I get 6013 or 7018 rods and would 3.2mm be suitable at approx. 110 amps.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    6013 will work fine in mild steel, and avoid the hassles of using 7018.
    3.2mm rods will work with 4mm provided you've got a good butt, without too big a gap. You may find that 2.5mm rods will be a bit easier. The good thing about arc welding is you can still weld thick metal with smaller rods, it's just that you go through them far quicker.

7018 does produce better and stronger welds, but they can be a pain to use. You've got to make sure they're kept dry (all rods need kept dry, but 6013 is more tolerant of not being dry), they can be a bit tempremental to start the arc, and they need the end chipped/filed off if you have to re-start the rod due to the way the flux flows.

I keep my 7018 rods stood next to a radiator in the house, whereas the 6013 get left outside. Even if they are damp, they'll still spark, but if I know I'll be using them, I'll stick a handful on top of a radiator.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Thread Information