. .
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    YawString have you come up with a price? Cause i'd be interested but probably can't afford, and it depends on where your at.

Well still haven't figured out how to use my camera to do video, must find the manual for it lol.
    Shame really because I wanted a bit of film of it actually cutting something, nothing complicated, just started with a rectangle in a bit of scrap plywood to make sure it was doing what it was suppose to. Can see I have a lot to learn using mach3 as I had all sorts of problems trying to use soft limits, need to spend time on the mach forum I think.
    Also need to spend some time figuring out how the spindle is controlled, it's not being done by mach3 just manually so need to sort out how to change the speed.

The other important thing I have learnt today is that if you don't start the spindle before hitting start in mach3 the cutter breaks lol, lucky for me I was just trying with an old 3mm bit just in case.

Still got some tidying up to do but at least the machine is running & I now need to learn how to use it. Once I have had a play & feel a bit more confident then I will make the adapters for the nema 23 motors so I can fit them.

Should just be a icon that looks like a camcorder, flip it and push button to record. My best guess.I'd use my phone myself.
    I was also trying to run around in mach3 with the manual as it tries to explain things but it don't like Vista. It says to try things with out a machine connected but doesn't act like the manual says.

Think I need to select video mode in one of the menu's, never thought about using my phone lol, might try that next time I am up there. I read somewhere that mach3 doesn't like vista (who does) so it is running on a machine with xp pro. The machine is never going to be connected to the net so I'm not bothered about support for xp ending.
    Not got a lot of software installed on that machine, was just going to install mach3 & use it purely to drive the router but have ended up putting the cam software on it plus a vector based program for designing. Also got the drivers for my plotter installed so it will drive the plotter as well as the router.

Having tested the machine & got it all working pretty well except for the VFD plugin which I will get round to sorting but doesn't stop me using the machine I thought it was time to tidy things up a bit, I wanted it to be a self contained unit when I started so having made sure everything was working OK it was time to put everything inside the original control box.

Sorted out an old motherboard (pentium 4) Installed Mach3 & deleted pretty much everything else, mounted the motherboard in the old box & connected it all back up only to find it now doesn't work at all. Have run the driver test for mach3 & there doesn't seem to be any pulse signal at all so I am guessing that the PP is defective in some way. Get no movement at all either from the machine or on the screen when I try to move an axis. Mach3 is set up exactly the same way it is on the other computer & will load & reset. If I run the driver test for mach3 it tells me it has successfully taken over the poet but I get no pulse line on the screen.

Progressing slowly as & when I get time, the old control box for the machine now houses the computer, power supplies, drivers etc. The VFD is mounted on one of the machine legs, thought it best not to try & fit this in the control box with the other electronics. Bought an old flat screen monitor which I still need to fit to the side of the machine but once that is done it will be pretty much stand alone. Will do all the design work on another machine & just upload the gcode to it via usb. Only program installed is mach3 keeping everything to a minimum having read that mach3 likes it best that way.
    One thing that did confuse me though was that when I tried to cut text it was cutting backwards, quick look at the mach support forum told me I had to reverse which ever axis was cutting the wrong way. I expected to have to reverse both the X & Y axis but only had to reverse one of them. Not sure if I have everything set up right now but it seems to work ok, is it usual to have to reverse just one axis ?

Quote Originally Posted by martin54 View Post
    Best of luck with it Greg, remember to take your test metre with you this time lol, if it fires up all you need to do then is get your head round the software which shouldn't be to difficult as your only dealing with one program. As I said before gerber used their own version of gcode but as far as I am aware using gerber advantage you will be able to design something to machine, create the code & then cut it all from the same program.
    I say as far as I am aware because that is what I was told, I've never actually used the software myself because the machine wasn't working when I got it & as it's now been upgraded it won't be able to run it as it did before. I would also have had to sort out an older computer because the guy said that version 6 which is what I got with it wouldn't run on anything latter than windows 98.
    Hi, I am a new member and could use some help please.
    I have a Gerber system 48 plus router which was running off of my Gateway 2000 466 computer for over 25years.
    Well, the computer crashed and because of the Dongle and it's card
    I was old to have this dinosaur rebuilt.
    So I did. I have the Graphic Advantage CD installed using windows 95 as my operating system.
    I am able to use the composer program, however, when I try to use the Artpath program I get an error message
    (Router not connected). Can you help me?

Ok so what exactly have you had done? Did you get the router rebuilt & if you did is it now running upto date drivers & motors? If that's the case then you can chuck your gerber software in the bucket as it won't work anymore. If the machine has been rebuilt then the old gerber control system will have gone which is probably why you are getting a "Router not connected message"
    I replaced all the original electronics & now run the machine using mach3 for the control software.

If the router was working fine & you were happy with it then your best bet would have been to source a really old computer & just reinstalled all the programs you had on your old machine on that. Would probably have cost you next to nothing to pick up a computer that old.
    Last edited by martin54; 29-07-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Ok so what exactly have you had done? Did you get the router rebuilt & if you did is it now running upto date drivers & motors? If that's the case then you can chuck your gerber software in the bucket as it won't work anymore. If the machine has been rebuilt then the old gerber control system will have gone which is probably why you are getting a "Router not connected message"
    I replaced all the original electronics & now run the machine using mach3 for the control software.

If the router was working fine & you were happy with it then your best bet would have been to source a really old computer & just reinstalled all the programs you had on your old machine on that. Would probably have cost you next to nothing to pick up a computer that old.
    No problem with the router, just had the PC rebuilt and know i have a problem communicating with the router.
    Do you have your old software for installation?

I have no problem with the router it was the PC that crashed.
    I installed the latest disk I have and the composer and other programs work. When I try to open Artpath I receive an error message stating " no router installed use GSP setup.
    I go to GSP setup and follow the install. Yet, when i go to Artpath I get the same message. I reboot the computer to help.
    No luck.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information