. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 44 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Maybe

(It's been a long week!)

Hi,

a time delay is quite hard to implement - and you'd also need something like a beeper telling you the timer started - otherwise you'd be facing the same trouble just a few seconds later.
    Voltage spikes due to interferences are no problem - a mechanical contact will not act at all as the energy is much to low (and even if - it would fall back immediately) and a solid state relay will just switch on for one cycle and then stop again.

If you really worry about it put a switch into the control or power line as suggested before. However in case of a spindle with VFD: never put a switch between VFD and spindle - you'll kill the VFD if you accidentially switch while running.

Christian
    2D / 3D CAM Software and CNC controller: http://www.estlcam.com

In my control box I have a 3 position switch - Auto (which goes thru the relay), Off and Manual. My greater concern is that LazyCam sometimes doesn't generate the M code to start the spindle, in which case I have to hit the E-stop before the tool breaks.

as an ex employee of www.emachcnc.com we used to use m3 to turn on spindle and m5 to turn it off, the output from the controller switched a relay, for added safety we supplied the inverter via a contactor, whose coil was switched via a key switch, as far as the HSE were concerned, as long as the facility to remove a tool ( key ) to make safe the spindle, it was deemed safe to handle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information