. .

Thread: New Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Wouldn't go with MDF or Worktop I'd use exterior Plywood it's stronger and more durable.

Ah I had dismissed plywood initially, as I thought it might "blow" during a spillage of anything more than water, but I do have a pile of the stuff to get for boarding out the loft in the main house (I don't like using chipboard for that) and additional order volume should cut down the cost per unit.

@Martin - yes it is heated by storage heaters at the moment, but I'm getting a wood burner installed in the main part of the barn to augment that and I have a pile of logs/crappy lumber to fuel it (the upper storey is accessed from the main part of the barn, which is on the wall furthest away in the sketchup shot via a staircase, with the office in my build log on the other end of that main part).

The two walls you see in the pic are where the staircase goes from the main part of the barn to the upper storey, but only on one side and the full height half of that "room" will be where the server rack/IT stuff will go. That area will have a door (or two) on it to isolate my servers from the workshop environment - hope that makes sense.

I'm taking the 4U CNC controller box out of the rack and locating it closer to the CNC machine.

I'm awaiting some CAT6 cabling atm, to hardwire the barn/office/workshop and the main house - something I highly recommend if anyone is going into new premises and has the budget, which is another reason for using trunking as I put this in the old workshop I had and I like the modularity of it. I also have my eye on the LAN enabled PLCM-E3 controller board on Zapp, as being able to send jobs to the machine from any LAN port is appealing, but I've yet to see anyone who has used or reviewed one.

I'll start posting photos when I have something more to show...

Cheers

Chris

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    You are using the ply indoors and I assume not intending to tile it or plaster it afterwards, so all you really need to seal it is plain old PVA. Cheap and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Washout View Post
    I also have my eye on the LAN enabled PLCM-E3 controller board on Zapp, as being able to send jobs to the machine from any LAN port is appealing, but I've yet to see anyone who has used or reviewed one.
    I've had one for months, pretty much since when they first appeared and it's a good board (also got some of there drives). The parent Russian company Pure logic is very good has well for dealing with any software issues.
    The first version of the software had some issue's with certain screen sets and homing/probing but they dealt with that sharply enough despite little to No help from Artsoft which is more than can be said for Warp9 and the smooth stepper brigade.!!

Edit: Exterior ply won't explode inside unless you drowned it.!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information