. .
    I bought an old Pacer compact 800+ cnc router on ebay some time ago, only to discover that it is made of MDF.

I am thinking of putting it back into commission, but would like some advice as to wether it is worth it.

The gantry sides seem to be MDF about 34mm thick with an inset area housing a metal plate which holds the ballscrew(20mm) and the two unsupported rails(30mm).the distance between these rails is 200mm and the gantry side spacing is 1050mm. The gantry sides are joined by
    a 20mm thick top rail, and another that runs across under the machine bed.

The Z carriage assembly is aluminium and looks to be quite substantial.

The other axis seams to be quite well supported on linear rails with a 20mm ballscrew down the centre.

I had intended to make sure that every thing was tightly fixed and simply replace the electronics, but after reading comments on this site
    about unsupported rails and flimsy gantries would like further advice.

The materials I cut are mainly MDF, plywood, PCB material and some plastics, so no metals or anything too hard.

I make dollshouses and miniatures on my other router (converted pcb machine, very heavy and robust), but the 800x800 bed on the pacer
    would be so much better for some things than my existing 540x450.

Any comments would be much appreciated, even if a bit derogatory!!!

Thankyou, G.

Well, its some time now since I posted, but have heard nothing back about my Pacer Compact 800+, so I assume that nobody on the site has any experience of the beast.

I have checked on what steppers are fitted (I can only get at the Y(gantry)axis at present and it fitted with a motor motor marked as SIGMA model no H33NRFC-LNN-N8-00 class B. It is a four wire motor motor.

Does anybody know anything about these motors(I assume X & Y are similar), current/voltage requirements etc. I intend to use this machine only for cutting MDF and thin ply (1.6mm) for the dollhouses that I make.

Any info would be much appreciated, apart from any suggestion to use the machine as a mooring weight etc. G.
    Last edited by GEOFFREY; 24-01-2013 at 09:20 PM. Reason: goblbegook.

They are type 34 motors, voltage doesn't matter as the driver takes care of this but amps is a bit unknown.
    542's should drive these but I'd favour the 872's as being well within spec
    John S -

4. The Following User Says Thank You to John S For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the info John, I have been offered a three axis driver board with a controller and integral power supply.I understand it is rated at 48v and 3amps.

Do you think this would be sufficient? I do not intend to use mac to run this machine, but a dedicated PC via the serial port. G.

Do you know where I can find a spec. for these motors as a google search did not seem to find one. Thx, G.
    Last edited by GEOFFREY; 25-01-2013 at 12:43 AM. Reason: added question

What driver board?
    I am very suspicious of combined boards and 3 amps sounds low for a type 34.
    I did a quick search but couldn't find a spec
    John S -

John, the driver board is a separate board. These boards are from a pre usb Boxford machine. I thought that the current rating was a bit low, just looking at the stepper motor, but hoped it might be ok. Thx. G.

A lot of this early Boxford, Denford stuff was only half stepping and to be honest, crap.
    Like most electronics 10 years is a lifetime.
    If you want to use this pacer in anger, shell out and get some decent drivers, it's well worth it and they will be good for another 10 or so years.
    John S -

Thanks John, I thought you might say something like that!!! G.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    I bought an old Pacer compact 800+ cnc router on ebay some time ago, only to discover that it is made of MDF.

I am thinking of putting it back into commission, but would like some advice as to wether it is worth it.

Thankyou, G.
    Hey. I am Kahraman from Turkey. I have the ssame Pacer compact 800+ and I used to work with it. But only it was running with its own pc which was a 486. Few years ago I started to rebuild it with a usb cnc controller.
    So far I could run its x y and z axes added some endstops for homing and such. But I am having difficulty working the spindle. Maybe we can share ideas and make them work properly. I would appreciate if you could make it work since its been a whille from your first post.
    Here you can check a youtube link which I could hardly find something aboıut the J100EB0075
    https://youtu.be/NQ88I3o8g2M
    please send me an e-mail if you are still interested in this subject.
    [email protected]
    Thank you...

Hey,
    Today I got an e-mail mentioning about this post and I was happy to hear from someone about this subject.
    You can check this wetransfer link which gonna be down in a week to find how the cnc working.
    https://we.tl/t-ks4aHgHcI8

Few months ago I also added a laser head so I can work with the laser or the spindle.
    They are working pretty fine.
    Last month I also bought a Festool CTL 26 for the vacuum and it is working perfectly.
    Here is a video of it with Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK signature laser engraving.

Thread Information