. .
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    Thats a pity Jazz, I thought you would have some of the best ideas!!G
    Yes I probably could contribute Geoff but being totally honest with you I do an awful lot of that in front and behind the scenes already. The number of people who contact me and want all the information, right down to cut material dimensions, screw lengths etc spoon feeding is getting a bit silly now.!

I don't have any problems with offering component advise or pointing out potential design flaws and recommendations so they don't take the wrong path or buy wrong stuff. Or like I do often for folks knocking up model or 2 to give an Idea or heads-up but I won't spoon feed folks full designs to the last detail and they should expect to learn the very basics at least. . . . . If they want it bad enough they'll take the time to learn if not then bugger em.! . . No time for free loaders.!!

Problem with this idea is that there's " Horse's for course's" and every body wants just one horse to ride all courses and win each race.!!

Define the parameters and backing the winner of one race gets much easier. Winning all races is completely different and more complicated set of parameters.

I actually think things are pretty good the way they are at the moment but that's obviously just my own opinion. At present people are required to think a bit for themselves & if they are not prepared to do that then they get no where which is probably where they deserve to be. Sorry if that is a bit blunt but you learn nothing if everything is done for you & at present people are certainly encouraged when they show a bit of effort themselves.
    It's a steep learning curve but right from the beginning you start to learn just by reading the build logs of others, using software to design your machine & the help & support you get from others on the site.
    There are already loads of designs available for free or to buy so why create another one & all the problems that go with that. From what I have seen in the short time I have been here there are quite a few experienced members who could already design & build machines that are far better than some of what is available already. There are already members who will help with cutting parts for anyone who asks.

Quote Originally Posted by martin54 View Post
    It's a steep learning curve but right from the beginning you start to learn just by reading the build logs of others
    to an extent thats very true you do learn a lot, but i find a lot of the logs i read get so far like basicly to the point of where they have enough help, and then that person never updates the log to show the machine finished and also the accuracy of the work coming from said machine.. yes its a generalisation and it's not aimed at everyone but there are certainly a lot of build logs that leave you wondering if they ever got finished

I had a very similar idea; except like a fixed. or 'sticky' post. named 'read this before you think about building' which goes over all the standard repetative questions everybody asks. Like the drawbacks to unsupported rails; the drawbacks to 'cheap' electronics kits off ebay. The limitations of using mdf structurally. maybe with links to other build logs where mistakes have been made a new purchases have been required.
    But this idea solves the same issue and so long as the requirements are clear I think arguments could be limited. For example.. 'a cheap machine, that can can only mdf or soft woods, with a 60x30cm cutting area for under £400
    Worst case scenario, is it could be sold at the end. (I dont doubt it will cover its costs) il contribute...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kingcreaky For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wilfy View Post
    to an extent thats very true you do learn a lot, but i find a lot of the logs i read get so far like basicly to the point of where they have enough help, and then that person never updates the log to show the machine finished and also the accuracy of the work coming from said machine.. yes its a generalisation and it's not aimed at everyone but there are certainly a lot of build logs that leave you wondering if they ever got finished
    I often follow up folks I've helped who go quiet and You'd be surprised how many don't actually get finished due to circumstances and general life getting in the way. Thou lots are just having too much fun and can't be arsed to update.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I often follow up folks I've helped who go quiet and You'd be surprised how many don't actually get finished due to circumstances and general life getting in the way. Thou lots are just having too much fun and can't be arsed to update.
    i dont deny that for one minute and i'm not saying it's a bad thing either at the end of the day you make the machine, it works, you forget to take pictures, you then get busy and spend more time designing parts to cut on your cnc and either dont have the time or forget that you didnt finish the build log.. i have to say i'm guilty of this from when i started making homebrew and for that reason i want to stick around here after my machine is finished and try to help people not make the same everyday mistakes, but also to showcase my build as best as possible to give hope to people that it can be done.

one thing i've never found though jazz is your build log

LOL, when I first started searching build logs, I tried to find his log too because when he helps so many with designs errors, you would think his machine will be the almighty. but as you read on about him helping using his machine as examples, you get a mental image of this ali cutting beast, with a stair lift beam gantry, steel box section frame, large motors with pulleys and long belts , interchangeable mdf, ply and ali beds, oh and 5mm pitch screws. Sounds like a strong machine with an unconventional gantry. Put our imaginations to rest. Pics please.

Adil

Thats because it got removed with my first BAN . . .

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Thats because it got removed with my first BAN . . .
    LMFAO.... Such a naughty boy!!!! you mean they didn't just edit out the bits that were against the rules...lol, or maybe your design was against the rules... not conventional enough... Sorry Couldn't resist..
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Iwant1 View Post
    LOL, when I first started searching build logs, I tried to find his log too because when he helps so many with designs errors, you would think his machine will be the almighty. but as you read on about him helping using his machine as examples, you get a mental image of this ali cutting beast, with a stair lift beam gantry, steel box section frame, large motors with pulleys and long belts , interchangeable mdf, ply and ali beds, oh and 5mm pitch screws. Sounds like a strong machine with an unconventional gantry. Put our imaginations to rest. Pics please.
    NO NO NO NO you don't want to see my beast it's certainly a case of "Do Has I say not what I Did" and it's rough ready engineering at it's best. To be honest it's on it's last legs and in need of some TLC which it will get this year and possibly get turned into a plasma cutter.?

Here's a pic of my son in early days doing his "I'm a little tea pot" routine. .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jazzcnc.jpg 
Views:	1829 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	7775  
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 28-12-2012 at 12:15 AM.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information