. .
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Thats because it got removed with my first BAN . . .
    pmsl :D very funny

Here's a pic of my son in early days doing his "I'm a little tea pot" routine. .
    Scan that pic carefully Adil.... He's maybe secreting the real critical ingredients. Such as can be learnt from that single picture.... I can now see that he is using a rigid connection to the planet to dampen resonance!

And whereas we've now seen a horizontal picture, I wouldn't be surprised if he was using it vertically!!

I've been up here long enough now to almost understand the Yorkshire natives ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by WandrinAndy View Post
    Scan that pic carefully Adil.... He's maybe secreting the real critical ingredients. Such as can be learnt from that single picture.... I can now see that he is using a rigid connection to the planet to dampen resonance!

And whereas we've now seen a horizontal picture, I wouldn't be surprised if he was using it vertically!!

I've been up here long enough now to almost understand the Yorkshire natives ;-)
    Vertical.3gp - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by WandrinAndy View Post
    Yes it's now vertical and has been for over 10 months now and working better than it ever did when horizontal. Cutters are lasting longer and can cut deeper due to far less chip re-cutting. Don't need nearly has much blown air either and less mess. .

The object was not to stop people from thinking for themselves, rather to encourage people to be able to produce a starter machine that has been expertly designed to eliminate some of the more common pitfalls, rather than help dig them out afterwards!!!

To promote discussion about general requirements for such a machine listing the pros and cons of various parameters and consider the cost/benefit of each idea. I am not suggesting that one size fits all, only that for a starter machine the requirement is fairly universal.

Yes, there are already enough designs and kits already available, but from many comments on this site it would appear that none of them are that good.

Many of the constructive comments made on build logs would seem to be about rail and gantry short comings, and most are generally fairly similar. I am sure we have enough expertise on this site to overcome most of these problems

If the first involvement with cnc leads to a successful machine build, surely that is better than a perhaps dubious purchase from elsewhere?

The machine design is only the fist step on what is a steep learning curve, the actual build, wiring cad cam and machining still have to follow.

Not everybody wants to start with a small (hopefully inexpensive) machine, but many do.

Not everybody with an interest in making things has an engineering background, the idea was to make it easier for one to get started and once bitten by the cnc bug who knows what could develop? G.
    Last edited by GEOFFREY; 28-12-2012 at 01:09 AM. Reason: typing again

Quote Originally Posted by wilfy View Post
    Hey I've got one like that . .

Whats the secret ingredient Jazz-that sheet of mdf lurking in the background? G

Hey I've got one like that . .
    What happens when you need those axle stands to work on your motor? lol. Seriously how come you didn't chop half the frame off to bring it closer to the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    Not everybody wants to start with a small (hopefully inexpensive) machine, but many do.
    Not everybody with an interest in making things has an engineering background, the idea was to make it easier for one to get started and once bitten by the cnc bug who knows what could develop? G.
    These 2 comments are just a few reasons why what you suggest will be so very hard to achieve.? But I hear what your saying and agree on the "Bug biting" to develop.

That said to get the ball rolling lets define clear parameters.!!

Materials to cut:
    Size:
    Desktop or Floor standing:
    Budget:

Knowing these will define the design and materials to use plus equipment levels and skills required to achieve.

Then let the fun begin.!!

Whats the secret ingredient Jazz-that sheet of mdf lurking in the background? G
    Yep thats one of THE most important ingredient Geoff.?? . . . It keeps the fire going.!

Seriously now.!! An amusing now but scary then thing happened with that MDF.? It was used for the bed initially and the first Job was the obligatory Mach3 Road runner drawn with a pencil held in 1" square off-cut of Ali with hole drilled in end and pencil jammed in. It performed flawlessly and after many other doodles I was satisfied and set about some fine tuning and checking of the motors with dial indicator.
    So while using the MDI (manual data input) I told the Z axis to go down 10mm.!! . . So I thought.?? Nope some how an extra zero slipped in and off it went on it's way 100mm down.!!! . . . . In the blink of an eye it punched a perfect 1" Sq thru 2 x 18mm mdf sheets and the Z axis didn't flinch just did has it was told. .

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information