. .
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I cant help myself so will jump in as well........

Other things to specify will need to be minimum tools required. Materials must be readily available from local suppliers where possible. It may also be worth speaking with the usual suppliers to price up a budget kit of parts ( motors, drivers and ballscrews etc).

for people without access to lager tools like lathes and mills will need workarounds to achieve the same goal???

At the end of the day we have been here before and it did not really go anywhere. for it to work it will need more than anything some dedication and for people to agree to disagree and keep it simple at all times. they can make the fancy bits when they have had the experience of going through a build. Hopefully they will have a machine at the end of it to do it.

There my 2p's worth
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Quote Originally Posted by Iwant1 View Post
    What happens when you need those axle stands to work on your motor? lol. Seriously how come you didn't chop half the frame off to bring it closer to the wall.
    It was just a test to see if it would work before I hacked the frame up.!!. . . . . It's still in the exact same place with the same Axle stands and worked so well from the get-go I left it for when I got nothing to do.!! . . . . I'm still waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    ............... In the blink of an eye it punched a perfect 1" Sq thru 2 x 18mm mdf sheets and the Z axis didn't flinch just did has it was told. .
    OMG... Your face when it started-> and when it finished -> That's funny, its nice to know I'm not the only one who messes up every now and then.... Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Thanks Jazz, thats what I was hoping to hear!!

All parameters are up for discussion and can be collated (time limited?) to find the most popular needs. Remember this is a starter machine.

Materials to cut - should include Plastics,MDF plywood, hardwood, PCB material and aluminium (Ithink that probably rules out MDF construction).

Size - typical working area should be to optimise standard sheet (8'x4') use, so something like 300x400, 400x600 or 600x800

Desktop or floor standing - Desktop is perhaps prefered by most diyers due to space availability.

Budget - For hardware - up to 1K ish to include all rails, screws drives etc, and a spindle. As most people will not be VAT registered this should include VAT.

The design should also consider (small machine only) the use of fixed or moving table, and if the Z travel should be enough to incorporate a 4th axis later.

Whilst I have suggested the spindle price should be included, the type of spindle could vary according to the cutting requirements and could be a project.

To date this idea has not had much of a positive reaction, but lets give it a try.

As you said Jazz -let the fun begin (NOT let the sparks fly!). G

Another parameter to discuss -frame materials - steel/ally, sections or extrusions. G
    Last edited by GEOFFREY; 28-12-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: added parameter

2e0poz, glad you jumped in. As has already been said there will be some people on the site who are prepared to carry out some machining.

You are quite right that it would mean some serious dedication by some (probably the usual few who know what they are talking about - lets me out).

As this site has many clever and assertive people some may have to compromise a bit on what may be quite good ideas.

Your comment aboutkeeping it simple is absolutely vital and hopefully if they end up with a good machine - who knows what they could do?

The computor will always do as it is told (unlike the wife!) the trick is to tell the right thing. Impressive tho isn't it. G

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    Materials to cut - should include Plastics,MDF plywood, hardwood, PCB material and aluminium (Ithink that probably rules out MDF construction).
    Here comes the "Horses for courses".!! My experience shows me the best most successful machines are the ones optimised for one main purpose. At 1K working with spindle Etc then cutting Aluminium with any serious intent and surviving the experience can't be done successfully. Best kept to Woods, plastics, PCB, Composites etc.

Size - typical working area should be to optimise standard sheet (8'x4') use, so something like 300x400, 400x600 or 600x800
    Agree on sheet sizing and 8th sheet would be the optimal for desktop machine under 1K. So 650x650mm.

Desktop or floor standing - Desktop is perhaps prefered by most diyers due to space availability.
    If we want space saving how about Vertical.?

Another parameter to discuss -frame materials - steel/ally, sections or extrusions. G
    I'll say straight away that I'm taking NO further part in the discussion if MDF becomes part of the design other than for a Sacrificial Bed.!!

Size and budget will mostly determine Material used. Extrusion is expensive with the main reason for using being ease of use and this often needs expensive fasteners which will make 1K target harder to achieve.
    Steel box section is far cheaper but requires more tools and for ease of use welding helps greatly but up's the skill level slightly (it isn't difficult at this level)

Jazz you correct, in the law of Paul "NO MDF shall be of use other than keeping the workshop warm upon fire". Keeping the cost down does not mean to skimp on the right material. All you will end doing is loosing money in the long run.

Choices are Steel or Aluminium.

I did play around with some solid plastic decking, would make a great bed :-)

See I already disagree with something Jazz has said lol, welding does up the skill level & the basic tools required unless a welder is to be included in the budget. Don't agree that it's easy at this level, yes for some people learning to weld may have been easy but that doesn't mean that it is for everyone, even the thought that this basic introduction machine needs to be welded is probably enough to put a lot of people off.

This goes back to offering alternative methods like angle iron to make brackets with nuts and bolts? Decent saw and a pillar drill are the basic requirements for any build. Master the art of a centre punch and people should be able to build quite an accurate machine.

If you don't have a drill and saw then an allowance £200 would get added to the budget straight away. The reality is if can only build a budget machine right if you have the budget in the first place. problem is with budget builds also comes patience, many people don't want to wait.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information