. .
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    The more I think about it the more I'm with Jazz tbh in thinking there is not much point to a mycnc machine. There are already loads of machines as kits with plans and forums for this kit or that, but the great thing about this site is the fact that people are prepared to help people that want something else.

I've seen lots of videos of people cutting aluminium with dremels mounted to MDF/acrylic and even bits old pipe turned into a cnc machine and people claiming that counts as 'cutting aluminium' but there are also enough honest people that will admit their mdf machine shook it self apart because they tried to cut alu to deep etc.

So what counts in your mind as 'cutting alu', is it engraving jewllery sized pieces or taking out 20 cubic inches of material a minute to an accuracy of 0.0001 inches with a 2m by 2m by 2m cutting area?

Thanks Wilfy looks good. the AZTEC calendar is brilliant.

The idea was for a smallish starter machine that is better than what is currently on offer and would resolve the flexibity problems that seem to be common. G.

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Washout View Post
    I can't help thinking that what is needed is not so much a spoon fed full design, but more a decision tree against desired design parameters e.g if you want machine with more than an 1100mm X axis then you need 1610 ballscrews to avoid whipping, if you want to cut aluminium (say up to 6082) then you need to make the frame from extrusions of XxYmm , steel section etc not MDF and so on

If I can find some time I could start the ball rolling, but I have limited knowledge myself,
    Chris
    I was thinking something similar.

What would also be good is if people that have recently finished their build or are currently designing/building a machine would not only do a build log but an 'after build debrief', so that you can compare the sketchup pics & photos of the machine to an actual rough bill of materials at the end (including tools used) and videos of a few standard cuts to see the real performance.

So for example if we come up with half a dozen test files doing a mayan calender in mdf, plunging into a piece of thick alu, a block of foam, cut out and engrave a piece of acrylic etc. If with have a few videos & photos & speed/time details of different machines doing the exact same jobs it would be much easier for people to form a realistic idea of what they need.

Nice idea, I'd love a copy of the calendar G code, or is writing it the test (in which case I fail). G.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    Nice idea, I'd love a copy of the calendar G code, or is writing it the test (in which case I fail). G.
    The aztec PDF is at the bottom of the first page:

http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/genera...files-dxf.html

7. The Following User Says Thank You to D.C. For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post

No problem but it's a 5Mb file compressed and 17Mb uncompressed. 757,000 lines of code. So best PM me your email.

To save Jazz sending it to everyone, I've just put his copy on my webserver here. If that's a problem I'll remove it straight away. You'll find plenty of other versions on CNCzone. Bit out of date now though

I've not really got anything on-topic to add. I think if anyone hasn't got the small amount of patience required to work out how to make the machine from reading existing build logs, on this site and others, then they're not going to gain much more from a set of plans which are unlikely to meet their specific requirements.

As I've said previously, you can cut aluminium with a screwdriver or knife, so to say a particular CNC router can cut aluminium is not saying much. For me to say a machine 'can cut aluminium', I reckon it would have to be capable of reliably cutting with a 6mm single flute cutter at 1mm per pass. That's nothing special or difficult to achieve, but enough to do odd jobs without getting too bored. The next thing to do is work out what machine stiffness that requires and design to achieve that...
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    To save Jazz sending it to everyone, I've just put his copy on my webserver here. If that's a problem I'll remove it straight away. You'll find plenty of other versions on CNCzone. Bit out of date now though
    No problem with me.
    I've actually got a version coded for 60Deg cutter if anyone wants it. Don't try using a 60Deg with this code it will come out all wrong and look shite.

With the CNCzone if just downloading G-code be aware it will most likely be for large sizes of 16" or 24" has that was the original sizes. Try to get the DXF if you want different sizes and be prepared to maybe do some touching up.

Thanks Jazz and Johnathon, I would have to use a 3.175 shank (so 3mm or 3.175) ENGRAVING bit, have various Deg points. I would also like to
    have a smaller dia, say 4" or 6", but don't know if I would be able to handle or clean up that amount of code. I would certainly have to drip feed
    it, and would certainly like a try. G.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information