. .
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    I think some people seem to look at cutting alloy as a type of benchmark for the machine. Maybe thinking that if it can cut alloy then it will do everything else they need. just my thoughts though.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Web Goblin For This Useful Post:

Yes, what is the fixation with cutting alloy....far better to build a machine specifically spec'ed to cut material you'll be working with 99% of the time (for me acrylic & copper clad FR4) - the other 1% of my cutting needs can be farmed out to those who are fixated with their machines cutting alloy ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    Yes, what is the fixation with cutting alloy....far better to build a machine specifically spec'ed to cut material you'll be working with 99% of the time (for me acrylic & copper clad FR4) - the other 1% of my cutting needs can be farmed out to those who are fixated with their machines cutting alloy ;-)
    you do know a previous post back there somewhere said if your cutting plastic you might aswell be cutting ally.... to quote
    Some cut easier then softwoods and some you might as well be cutting ally.

Exactly, Thankyou. iWe are talking about a small robust starter project. If a machine that is primarily intended to cut softer materials is capable of ocasionally cutting ally, most people would indeed think it would cut almost anything that they would need to cut. G.

I agree with what John S has said - this wont get anywhere due to conflicting requirements. One could split the project into designing a set of machines, each aimed at different requirements, but even then people will want something different, or wont be able to source the materials, or tools... etc

The reason I'm most interested in making machines that can cut aluminium is that any machine which is strong enough to cut wood and plastic with respectable speed and accuracy is by default also strong enough to cut aluminium, not efficiently (the milling machine will always win there), but enough to be useful. Unless you make the thing from MDF and do what we might call the classic mistakes, it's hard to make a small machine which isn't capable of cutting aluminium reasonably efficiently.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 29-12-2012 at 11:27 PM.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Acknowledge and understood John, it’s a shame really because something could come of it I’m sure.

Regarding the consensus thing, I see this being the aim allot and I think sometimes people (no one in particular) may forget that not everyone is looking to do the same kind of machining.

That said could it work if there was like two projects on the go, so one for people looking to work with wood and another for a machine aimed at machining alloy.

That’s got me thinking now though it or not a machine designed to work on alloy would also lend very well to working on wood, so that machine should command the authority and set the standard, from that machine people could then innovate on the design and deviate from the “plans” so to speak, like they do with the diy plans for building a machine i.e. a Rockcliff machine.

What we need is someone who is willing to invest the time and to take the lead on this, while we could all give our input as to what we think something should be, ultimately that person (Jazz) would need to have the final word and say “yes/no/it needs to be” and from that this could move forward.

I know not everyone is going to agree, but unless strong arguments are made against something “the people” would have to just agree to disagree for the sake of the project, with the option to design their own “version” if you like, if they feel that strongly about the argument.

I assisted a user this week who needed support, after I got them fixed up and posting they expressed to me that “There is something cool about discussing these topics with Europeans, especially British. There is something about the history and culture of machinery that a European perspective adds to”.

If I’m honest, I think I refuse to believe that something like this can’t be done to a success and who am I to say what that success will be but when you look at the standard of the machines coming out of the build logs, it’s clear to see.

.Me
    .Me

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    Exactly, I’ve got just the thing to facilitate that coming up ;-)

Sorry you guys type faster than me so have said more or less what i am trying to say in my post above, i have to wait for spell checker to catch up :).

.ME
    .Me

How about it Jazz -would you be prepared to give it a go? G.

I still don't think it's something that's needed & can't see why some people seem so obsessed with it. Seen things like this destroy good forums before because of the bickering it causes & you don't want to go losing any of your most experienced members. Don't think it will do a lot to grow the forum either, people will just download the plans & get on with building themselves a machine, no need to ask any questions or think about the best design because you already have it.

lee what you say is true. I would have to say that if anybody looking at the plans has real issue, then they obviously know better and should just do their own thing anyway? In general people want to make sure they are doing things right so the forum will always be here to help. Like the MM forum maybe a numbeing syem for all that are complete would work well :-)..........Lee get the official stickers out with a MYCNCUK logo at hand??????
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Swarfing For This Useful Post:

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information