. .
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The object was not to stop people from thinking for themselves, rather to encourage people to be able to produce a starter machine that has been expertly designed to eliminate some of the more common pitfalls, rather than help dig them out afterwards!!!

To promote discussion about general requirements for such a machine listing the pros and cons of various parameters and consider the cost/benefit of each idea. I am not suggesting that one size fits all, only that for a starter machine the requirement is fairly universal.

Yes, there are already enough designs and kits already available, but from many comments on this site it would appear that none of them are that good.

Many of the constructive comments made on build logs would seem to be about rail and gantry short comings, and most are generally fairly similar. I am sure we have enough expertise on this site to overcome most of these problems

If the first involvement with cnc leads to a successful machine build, surely that is better than a perhaps dubious purchase from elsewhere?

The machine design is only the fist step on what is a steep learning curve, the actual build, wiring cad cam and machining still have to follow.

Not everybody wants to start with a small (hopefully inexpensive) machine, but many do.

Not everybody with an interest in making things has an engineering background, the idea was to make it easier for one to get started and once bitten by the cnc bug who knows what could develop? G.
    Last edited by GEOFFREY; 28-12-2012 at 01:09 AM. Reason: typing again

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    Not everybody wants to start with a small (hopefully inexpensive) machine, but many do.
    Not everybody with an interest in making things has an engineering background, the idea was to make it easier for one to get started and once bitten by the cnc bug who knows what could develop? G.
    These 2 comments are just a few reasons why what you suggest will be so very hard to achieve.? But I hear what your saying and agree on the "Bug biting" to develop.

That said to get the ball rolling lets define clear parameters.!!

Materials to cut:
    Size:
    Desktop or Floor standing:
    Budget:

Knowing these will define the design and materials to use plus equipment levels and skills required to achieve.

Then let the fun begin.!!

Thanks Jazz, thats what I was hoping to hear!!

All parameters are up for discussion and can be collated (time limited?) to find the most popular needs. Remember this is a starter machine.

Materials to cut - should include Plastics,MDF plywood, hardwood, PCB material and aluminium (Ithink that probably rules out MDF construction).

Size - typical working area should be to optimise standard sheet (8'x4') use, so something like 300x400, 400x600 or 600x800

Desktop or floor standing - Desktop is perhaps prefered by most diyers due to space availability.

Budget - For hardware - up to 1K ish to include all rails, screws drives etc, and a spindle. As most people will not be VAT registered this should include VAT.

The design should also consider (small machine only) the use of fixed or moving table, and if the Z travel should be enough to incorporate a 4th axis later.

Whilst I have suggested the spindle price should be included, the type of spindle could vary according to the cutting requirements and could be a project.

To date this idea has not had much of a positive reaction, but lets give it a try.

As you said Jazz -let the fun begin (NOT let the sparks fly!). G

Another parameter to discuss -frame materials - steel/ally, sections or extrusions. G
    Last edited by GEOFFREY; 28-12-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: added parameter

Materials to cut - should include Plastics,MDF plywood, hardwood, PCB material and aluminium (Ithink that probably rules out MDF construction).
    Here comes the "Horses for courses".!! My experience shows me the best most successful machines are the ones optimised for one main purpose. At 1K working with spindle Etc then cutting Aluminium with any serious intent and surviving the experience can't be done successfully. Best kept to Woods, plastics, PCB, Composites etc.

Size - typical working area should be to optimise standard sheet (8'x4') use, so something like 300x400, 400x600 or 600x800
    Agree on sheet sizing and 8th sheet would be the optimal for desktop machine under 1K. So 650x650mm.

Desktop or floor standing - Desktop is perhaps prefered by most diyers due to space availability.
    If we want space saving how about Vertical.?

Another parameter to discuss -frame materials - steel/ally, sections or extrusions. G
    I'll say straight away that I'm taking NO further part in the discussion if MDF becomes part of the design other than for a Sacrificial Bed.!!

Size and budget will mostly determine Material used. Extrusion is expensive with the main reason for using being ease of use and this often needs expensive fasteners which will make 1K target harder to achieve.
    Steel box section is far cheaper but requires more tools and for ease of use welding helps greatly but up's the skill level slightly (it isn't difficult at this level)

I had a very similar idea; except like a fixed. or 'sticky' post. named 'read this before you think about building' which goes over all the standard repetative questions everybody asks. Like the drawbacks to unsupported rails; the drawbacks to 'cheap' electronics kits off ebay. The limitations of using mdf structurally. maybe with links to other build logs where mistakes have been made a new purchases have been required.
    But this idea solves the same issue and so long as the requirements are clear I think arguments could be limited. For example.. 'a cheap machine, that can can only mdf or soft woods, with a 60x30cm cutting area for under £400
    Worst case scenario, is it could be sold at the end. (I dont doubt it will cover its costs) il contribute...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kingcreaky For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Here's a pic of my son in early days doing his "I'm a little tea pot" routine. .
    Scan that pic carefully Adil.... He's maybe secreting the real critical ingredients. Such as can be learnt from that single picture.... I can now see that he is using a rigid connection to the planet to dampen resonance!

And whereas we've now seen a horizontal picture, I wouldn't be surprised if he was using it vertically!!

I've been up here long enough now to almost understand the Yorkshire natives ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by WandrinAndy View Post
    Scan that pic carefully Adil.... He's maybe secreting the real critical ingredients. Such as can be learnt from that single picture.... I can now see that he is using a rigid connection to the planet to dampen resonance!

And whereas we've now seen a horizontal picture, I wouldn't be surprised if he was using it vertically!!

I've been up here long enough now to almost understand the Yorkshire natives ;-)
    Vertical.3gp - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by wilfy View Post
    Hey I've got one like that . .

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Hey I've got one like that . .
    What happens when you need those axle stands to work on your motor? lol. Seriously how come you didn't chop half the frame off to bring it closer to the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwant1 View Post
    What happens when you need those axle stands to work on your motor? lol. Seriously how come you didn't chop half the frame off to bring it closer to the wall.
    It was just a test to see if it would work before I hacked the frame up.!!. . . . . It's still in the exact same place with the same Axle stands and worked so well from the get-go I left it for when I got nothing to do.!! . . . . I'm still waiting.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information