. .
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    I have been reading through the various build logs, and comments about various designs, and it would seem to me that many of the comments about shortcommings are very similar.

Would it not be a good idea to design a basic machine incorporating the best features with the idea of encouraging more people to try their own build?

I realize that many people will say a standard design would not suit their needs, but I have read several times that the first machine is a starter and will be improved on their next project.

After a basic design concept, ie size, table top, floorstanding, materials to cut etc. I feel sure that the most experienced members could all comment on exactly what the machine should be and come up with a design better than anything else on the market--remember strike cnc!!

The machine could carry smart union flag decals(or other sponsors decals) and be built from supplied DXF? drawings.

A parts list could be supplied and some machined parts could be offered for sale by experienced site members

Any thoughts, G.
    Last edited by GEOFFREY; 27-12-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: bad typing

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    great idea, but this lot will never agree on anything.

3. Round One, FIGHT!

Sorry could not help it.
    "If first you don't succeed, redefine success"

goes to find the popcorn

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    EPOXY!!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

MDF, so it's cheap and easy to make.

Quote Originally Posted by i2i View Post
    great idea, but this lot will never agree on anything.
    Sorry dont agree with that.!!. . .

Quote Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
    EPOXY!!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post

See why it won't work.? Already had 2 hard to work with or unsuitable material suggestions and we haven't even gone near design yet . . lol

Thats a pity Jazz, I thought you would have some of the best ideas!!G

Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    easy.. maybe, accurate.. depends how much effort you put in. if you are talking about torsion boxes in every place there needs support your talking a lot of effort, is it cheaper maybe.. one sheet of 18mm mdf is £17, 25mm £24 so yes even if you go for 25mm it seems quite cheap. how big are you going to have to make torsion boxes to make sure the strength is there and in turn how much bigger are you going to have to order your screws and rails to achieve the cutting area you want? i plan to make my machine using no more than £100 worth of steel... to me that seems cheap, i havn't even looked at alu but that fact i'm using steel is allowing me to have quite decent amount of cutting area from smallish screws compared to if you made an mdf machine. also there are plenty of designs out there already that use wood/mdf if it was really that good everyones machines in this forum would be made from it, i only know of 2 guys who have made from wood/mdf and one of them ran away from the forum after i presume all the disagreements everytime he mentioned doing something from wood as an alternative

talking of cutting area.. this is what decides the design.. you cant really be universal as everyones needs for cutting area are different.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information