. .
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJenkinson View Post
    I do however appreciate why, I think, in terms of the variability there is in end machine design. My thought was that a decision logic tree could be developed that highlighted the decisions to be made in coming up with a design, with the specific details being decided by each person.
    Whilst I can see that that method could help a lot of people, it would restrict peoples thinking. In a way I'd rather let people think for themselves and even post the odd wacky idea in build logs, as just occasionally you see a good design idea which we can all develop and benefit from. A generic design procedure can detract from innovation.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Maybe another approach is to start with a Chinese ebay machine and provide a step by step guide to upgrading and retro fitting it...
    That may not make so much sense from an economic point of view.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

The high level design logic tree would be a bit of work, but I don't think it would starve creativity. There's always place for macro and micro evolution in solving specific problems. The truth is that real world design and iteration is dirty and organic, it is not by wrote, which kind of backs up your point. The shock for people coming here is that they're going to have to get down and dirty rather than take the well trodden path.
    Last edited by CharlesJenkinson; 17-02-2014 at 07:45 PM.

(Slightly off topic)
    I find it interesting that while everyone slags off the chinese machines, but clearly they can supply decent rails, bearings, spindles, ball screws, motors and extrusions...

How come no one is doing a kit of bits with decent electronics (geko's) and cables...

Maybe that's what the myCNCuk machine should be...

If it wasn't for Deming and TQM, the Chinese wouldn't be making decent anything, engineering wise. Bureaucratic and autocratic cultures don't easily refine the right way of doing things.
    Last edited by CharlesJenkinson; 17-02-2014 at 11:36 PM.

A Lego type approach would work for me.
    Say you break the machine down into components such as;

Frame
    Gantry
    Linear motion (rails/bearings, rack & pinion, ball nuts, etc.)
    Control Electronics (psu, safety circuit, bob, etc.)
    Motion Electronics (stepper/servo motors & drivers)
    Z axis
    Spindle and VFD
    Software (Mach3 Linux, DSP, etc.)
    etc.

Then for each component various designs could be put forward and anyone wishing to build a machine could pick'n'mix the components to 'Lego' a machine together.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

Yes I think that would be good, but you'd need to decide on standard sizes for each system component so you can mix and match.

As someone else said, to build momentum and not be reliant on any particular members or the same old members, the design should be capable of replicating itself. So the first jobs for the newly built machine is to build parts for the next set of newbies to the forum.

It could become a right of passage into the group. And there would be a shared mass of experience to help the newbie. And we can all sit around sharing our fond memories of our first mycncuk machine....

This most likely means capability to machine aluminium parts [which is any machine, so no problem! :) ].

This thread could then become the longest ever as more and more machines get built, and the design and list of suppliers is constantly refined.

Maybe all it needs is one person to post the first design and shopping list.

How did you screw the hiwin guides to the square profile?

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread Information