. .
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    I don't think it matters what your goals are, there will always be too many of them for a group project.

The thread is 6 months old now and so far has got nowhere and sorry to say this but it never will.

Only way a machine will get built is if one person decides to build what 'he' thinks is right and offers it for sale.
    Then all the cheap arsed vultures will gather and pull holes in it and reckon it's too expensive and you could do it cheaper.

However missing the point that they are still weld to the fence, not sat on it.
    John, I agree with most of your sentiments, and the idea was never to try to "design a machine by committee", merely to come up with a set of general parameters for a starter machine and then for one person to "run" with it. There are certainly enough people on this forum that could do that if they wanted to.

Of course there would be critics - does that really matter? This thread has been dormant for the last six months just because
    of such comments, and I only reintroduced it because there have been several posts from people asking about about small starter machines/kits etc. G.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    merely to come up with a set of general parameters for a starter machine
    So what parameters would you suggest? Lets see if 1% or 2% of people agree with them...

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Only way a machine will get built is if one person decides to build what 'he' thinks is right and offers it for sale.
    Tempting...

I will post the drawings for a medium size machine I've designed soon, but I doubt anyone would use them since you can't make it without a milling machine & CNC router & lathe, which is likely to be a problem with any general design people come up with here.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

If you can minimise and simplify the pieces requiring milling/turning then these could be supplied by people on the forum. I often reads posts on here where people are asking for parts cut, why not pre-defined parts for the cnc machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Spedley View Post
    If you can minimise and simplify the pieces requiring milling/turning then these could be supplied by people on the forum. I often reads posts on here where people are asking for parts cut, why not pre-defined parts for the cnc machine?
    Exactly my thoughts re "by the people for the people", once we know what parts need making and the demand, some people maybe happy to do like a batch of the same part with something like a minimum amount, it dosnt need to be done for free but could be done with the intension of covering costs and to help people, rather than looking to turn a profit.

I dont think offering yet another commercial machine is the way to go, (open source, with a little help from my friends) seems like the right way of describing it.

.Me
    .Me

At least we do seem to be getting a few positive ideas - maybe it will exceed "J's" 1 - 2%. I am looking forward to seeing your new design Jonathan, but do suspect that it will fall outside of the "starter" category. When I started this thread I knew that it would be contraversial, but had hoped that one of the more experienced members might be prepared to give it a go. the basic parameters were discussed some time ago, but were not finalised. The idea is to open up discussion about the requirements of a smallish robust uncomplicated "starter" machine and then hope to find that a project manager/coordinator could make the final design decisions and decide on materials suppliers etc. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that with the mathematical prowess of people like Irving and Jonathan, engineering skills of people like Jazz and John S and the dogged determination of people like myself we could soon have the best machine plan/kit available. In mentioning names I hope that I have not offended anybody, I was only referring to "people like" as I am aware that the forum has many other highly skilled and knowledgeable members. G

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    At least we do seem to be getting a few positive ideas - maybe it will exceed "J's" 1 - 2%. I am looking forward to seeing your new design Jonathan, but do suspect that it will fall outside of the "starter" category. When I started this thread I knew that it would be contraversial, but had hoped that one of the more experienced members might be prepared to give it a go. the basic parameters were discussed some time ago, but were not finalised. The idea is to open up discussion about the requirements of a smallish robust uncomplicated "starter" machine and then hope to find that a project manager/coordinator could make the final design decisions and decide on materials suppliers etc. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that with the mathematical prowess of people like Irving and Jonathan, engineering skills of people like Jazz and John S and the dogged determination of people like myself we could soon have the best machine plan/kit available. In mentioning names I hope that I have not offended anybody, I was only referring to "people like" as I am aware that the forum has many other highly skilled and knowledgeable members. G

Being brand brand new to this site and to the world of CNC I am enjoying all the discussion and getting caught up. I just have a little suggestion for spec for the 'peoples' machine. Perhaps take the popular cheap 'Ebay' machine claimed specs as a starting point and build/design based on that. They seem to be a popular size for people while there of course will always be differences in what people want.

Thank you for the great forum.

My company has started making the V-slot profile that is extremely popular for 'starter' machines. I will be advertising this profile on this forum in the New Year as well as other items that my company supplies.

If there is a real interest in pursuing the 'How about a mycncuk cnc router project?' then I am able to offer a reasonable discount to any MYCNCUK forum member that buys a machine via the forum organisers providing that there are enough people interested. I can offer 400x300, 400x600 or 900x600 frame sizes with all necessary parts to assemble the frame. Motors and electrics etc can be sourced from many, many places so it does not seem right to offer a full off the shelf machine as even beginners to this CNC game have their own ideas of what motors, steppers, programs etc they want to use.

I sincerely hope that this post is taken in the manner it is meant.... to help with the idea of developing a MYCNCUK machine that is aimed at those who are new or fairly new to CNC which is who I believe the topic was originally aimed at and who want to machine 'light' materials. I have attached pictures as an example of what is on offer. Please note. These machines are aimed at users who will machine light materials such as MDF, Plywood, Acrylics, Delrin (acetal) and thin aluminium sheet materials, they are NOT aimed at those people who want absolute precision when machining a block of metal or similar.

I am ONLY interested in supplying these machines IF the powers that be (on this topic especially) and at MYCNCUK are also on board with the project and 'they' can organise member interest to realise a MYCNCUK machine that can be sold to members at a discount from the real price AND they do not mind me writing this post.

If I have broken any rules then please excuse my writing and remove or edit the post as is seen fit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2013-12-04 16.03.19.png 
Views:	444 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	10933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2013-12-05 09.08.51.png 
Views:	392 
Size:	795.2 KB 
ID:	10934Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2013-12-05 09.16.56.png 
Views:	396 
Size:	642.4 KB 
ID:	10935

Thought I'd bump this thread....

Very interesting reading. I found it while googling around looking for reasons why not to waste £600 on an ebay 3040!

One suggestion regarding capabilities of a machine, why not take a leaf out of the 3d printer book and make the machine capable of machining it's own parts.

That way your first project on completion can be making a set of bits to sell to someone else...
    Last edited by Richard; 17-02-2014 at 10:53 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

I was also a bit disappointed to see this concept had stalled, when it was one of the first threads I'd read after arriving. I do however appreciate why, I think, in terms of the variability there is in end machine design. My thought was that a decision logic tree could be developed that highlighted the decisions to be made in coming up with a design, with the specific details being decided by each person. This is essentially what people who design anything do, at all points in the process. it is of course a potentially large undertaking, and still impossible to teach the process of how people fill in the specific details. However, there are some things that come up time and again in design review on here, and these are the areas where some tutorial decision logic wouldn't go amiss. I.e. steel frame design, z axis design, gantry design, etc. ...and now I'm rambling myself into an impossible corner.

I think one approach would be to assume it's a machine for beginners and therefore cannot require access to a mill or lathe to make.

If machined parts are required, there should be a source for ready made parts, ideally as I mentioned above, parts that can be made on the same machine.

Maybe another approach is to start with a Chinese ebay machine and provide a step by step guide to upgrading and retro fitting it... Maybe that create a narrower scope and prevent the impossible search for a 'prefect' machine that suits everyone.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread Information