. .

Thread: Hello all!

Hi,

Can't say that I've ever introduced myself on a forum before! Im Sam. I am forever having idea's about building gadgets, presumably from my early days with Lego and Mecanno.

I have spent plenty time learning about programming and computers and in the past years at college and university or so I've been thinking that instead of programming things dealing with information I want to start moving into the physical realm. The main problem for me at the moment is probably not lack of knowledge or the theory behind CNC its more the cash flow (*and permission off the mrs). I might be blessed tho living in an area packed with several huge scrapyards.

The project I have in mind will run using an Arduino board which is currently doing very well collecting dust. The rest will either be scrap, cheap or donated! I have access to basic hand tools, drills and potentially some welding kit although if needed I've heard about a hobby machine shop in the area that I could use.

Hopefully some of the kind folk here can give me some advice!

Hi Sam, welcome to the forum!! :)

Advice.....hmmmmm RUN....don't look back, don't even think about CNC machines else you'll end up like all of us here ;). You'll start off with intentions of using free/cheap materials and items and then have the error of your ways pointed out and you'll end up blowing your budget by a factor of 10....go on ask me how I know ;)
    Neil...

Build log...here

:-D pmsl. Wise words, too true

how many of us had those intentions aswell ;)

Dont want to knock it though buddy - "when there is a will there is a way." Your in the right place for advice.

Actually that's being a bit unfair. I'm building a cheap MDF / Alu machine with a TB6560 controller, cheap eBay printer steppers, trapezoidal leadscrews, steel pipe for rails, skate bearing carriages etc. BUT am also building a better steel/Alu machine with ballscrews and all the other goodies that I should have used in the first place :)
    Neil...

Build log...here

I hope to make something nice but I'm still just a typical tight Yorkshire man :). My first port of call will be to check out what materials are available locally from the scrap yards. I am hoping that could cover motors and frames, not had a proper look yet but I have a good Idea what to look for now!

Have a read through all the build threads, decide what you want to cut, come up with a design, create a build thread and post your design then wait for it to be ripped apart (in the nicest possible way of course!!) and then you start the first of many re-designs!! ;)
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by Treemonkey View Post
    I hope to make something nice but I'm still just a typical tight Yorkshire man :). My first port of call will be to check out what materials are available locally from the scrap yards. I am hoping that could cover motors and frames, not had a proper look yet but I have a good Idea what to look for now!
    From a typical tight arse Yorkshire man close to Rotherham then don't waste your time looking for stepper motors in the typical scrap yards round our way you'll be lucky to find any of any use. They are not silly money new and it's just not worth the time or effort and hassle.

I'm not gonna haunt them! Will pop down for a look, we have 2 pretty large scrap places in Rotherham with C.F.Booths and Ron Hull, who deal with anything from old trains down to domestic scrap. I've not had chance to visit yet but hope to in the near future :)

Well I've just put a bunch of things on Ebay. My better half had been badgering me to get rid of the stuff for ages... I reluctantly agreed but managed to wangle that any cash can go towards my build hopefully around £300-400. I've sort of agreed with myself the size that I'd like it to be now, which is somewhere between 60-100cm for X axis and about half that for the Y depending on what I can get my mits on! Mainly cutting wood but want to be able to do metals in future.

I have done some reading up on stepper torque which I think mentioned something about needing 25 newton meters for aluminium cutting, does anybody have any sort of list of materials vs torque required if one exists or any pointers to where I might find similar information?

Cheers,
    Sam

Thread Information